External characteristics of a DC generator are.... (multiple choice)

In summary, the speaker is asking for clarification on the correct equation for external characteristics in a DC generator. They provide their understanding of the equation and ask if the book answer is wrong or if they have made a mistake. They also mention having an exam in the near future. Another person responds and confirms that the speaker's understanding is correct and adds additional information about the demagnetizing effect of armature reaction in a DC generator. It is also noted that the speaker may be preparing for GATE 2018.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-12_13-1-41.png

Homework Equations

upload_2018-1-12_13-4-27.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think External char = Magnaetic characteristics - Armature reaction drop - Ohmic drop since we're subtracting these values from voltage.
But book answer is D. Magnetization char + armature reaction - Ohmic drop.
Is book answer wrong or have I goofed up somewhere?

PS: I have an exam next month and so asking so many questions.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-12_13-1-41.png
    upload_2018-1-12_13-1-41.png
    3 KB · Views: 751
  • upload_2018-1-12_13-4-27.png
    upload_2018-1-12_13-4-27.png
    3 KB · Views: 774
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe your answer is correct. In a dc generator, demagnetizing effect of armature reaction (due to core saturation) reduces terminal voltage.
jaus tail said:
PS: I have an exam next month
Seeing your recent threads, I guess it's GATE 2018??

Likes jaus tail

1. What are the external characteristics of a DC generator?

The external characteristics of a DC generator refer to the properties and behaviors of the generator that can be observed from its physical structure and operation. These include the output voltage, current, and resistance.

2. How do the external characteristics of a DC generator affect its performance?

The external characteristics of a DC generator play a crucial role in determining its overall performance. For example, the output voltage and current will determine the power output of the generator, while the resistance will affect its efficiency and stability.

3. What is the relationship between the external characteristics of a DC generator and its internal components?

The external characteristics of a DC generator are a direct result of its internal components and design. The type and arrangement of the generator's windings, magnetic field, and commutator all contribute to its external characteristics.

4. How can the external characteristics of a DC generator be controlled or adjusted?

The external characteristics of a DC generator can be controlled by changing the generator's field excitation, load resistance, or speed. This can be done manually or through the use of automatic voltage regulators.

5. What are the main differences between the external characteristics of a DC generator and an AC generator?

While both DC and AC generators have similar external characteristics such as voltage and current, their internal designs and operation are quite different. DC generators use a commutator and split-ring design, while AC generators use slip rings and a rotating magnetic field. Additionally, AC generators produce alternating current, while DC generators produce direct current.