Charge Density and Neuronal Cells-Help

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of charge density in neuronal cells and how to determine its magnitude on the inner and outer cell walls using the electric field within the cell membrane. The participants also discussed different equations and methods to solve for the charge density, including using the parallel plate approximation and the cylindrical approximation. Eventually, the correct solution was found by using the equation Q/A and solving for charge density.
deenuh20
Charge Density and Neuronal Cells--Help!

The cell membrane if a typical nerve cell consists of an inner and outer wall separated by a distance of 0.10 µm. The electric field within the cell membrane is 7.0 x 105 N/C. Approximating the cell membrane as a parallel plate capacitor, determine the magnitude of the charge density on the inner and outer cell walls.

E=charge density/Eo
Q=charge density*Area

I tried doing this problem by using E=Charge density/Eo and just solving for charge density. I'm not really quite sure how to find the area to use in the equation (I know its cylindrical, but I'm not sure how I can find the area with just the distance)

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
bump for answer :smile:

Well using the first equation rearrange for charge density because that's all that is asked for. You know the E-field and epsilon nought is a constant. It is however a very crude approximation as the cell is more cylindrical than anything else and the gap is not a vacuum.

That is what i did. I solved for charge density by the equation derived in my textbook for cylindrical approximations and got 1.239x10^-5 C/m^2 when using the equation, Charge Density = E*2Eo. However, when I type this answer in (it's online homework), it keeps saying it is incorrect, which is making me wonder if I am missing something??

The question states treating it as a parallel plate capacitor not a cylindrical one. For a parallel plate the charge density will be half the value you have obtained.

Nevermind, I got it, FINALLY!

I had to solve for Q using E=k*(Q/r^2) then find Area and solve for charge density by Q/A.

What is charge density and how does it relate to neuronal cells?

Charge density refers to the amount of electrical charge per unit volume in a given space. In neuronal cells, charge density is important because it helps regulate the electrical signals that allow the cells to communicate with each other and control bodily functions.

Why is understanding charge density important in neuroscience?

Understanding charge density is crucial in neuroscience because the electrical signals in neuronal cells play a vital role in brain function and behavior. By studying charge density, scientists can gain a better understanding of how neuronal cells work and how disruptions in their electrical signals can lead to neurological disorders.

How is charge density measured in neuronal cells?

Charge density can be measured using a technique called patch clamping, which involves inserting a tiny electrode into a single neuronal cell and recording its electrical activity. Other methods such as electrophysiology and calcium imaging can also be used to indirectly measure charge density in groups of neuronal cells.

What factors can affect charge density in neuronal cells?

Several factors can influence charge density in neuronal cells, including the type and number of ions present in the cell, the electrical potential across the cell membrane, and the activity of ion channels and transporters. Changes in any of these factors can alter the charge density and impact the cell's ability to generate and transmit electrical signals.

How does charge density impact the functioning of neuronal networks?

Charge density plays a crucial role in the functioning of neuronal networks. In these networks, individual cells communicate with each other through electrical signals that are modulated by charge density. Changes in charge density can affect the strength and timing of these signals, which can ultimately impact the overall functioning of the network and contribute to various neurological processes and behaviors.