1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge distribution with charge density

1. Mar 6, 2009 #1
    The following is a worked example in my notes im having difficulty with:

A charge distribution with charge density [itex]\rho \neq 0[/itex] exist in the half space [itex]V:z>0[/itex]
    We can view this as a system with an earthed plate at the z=0 plane. So at z=0 we have the Dirichlet boundary condition [itex]\varphi(x,y,0)=0[/itex]

We know that the Greens' function [itex]G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'}) = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}} + f_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'})[/itex] i.e. it satisfies the Poisson equation (so essentially we're letting [itex]\varphi = G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'})[/itex]

Our Dirichlet boundary condition tells us that [itex]G_D(\vec{r},(x',y',0))=0[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow f_D(\vec{r},(x',y',0))=-\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2}}[/itex]

this is generalised to give

[itex]\Rightarrow f_D(\vec{r},(x',y',0))=-\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z+z')^2}}[/itex]

and we note that [itex]\nabla^2 f_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'})=0[/itex] i.e. it satisfies Laplace's equation and so G still satisfies Poisson's equation.

However it then states

[itex]\varphi(\vec{r})=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int_V dV' \rho(\vec{r'}) \left[ \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'}|} - \frac{1}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r'_m}|} \right] [/itex]
    where [itex]\vec{r'}=(x',y',z'), \vec{r'_m}=(x',y',-z')[/itex] (*)

but the formula given earlier for calculating the potential from Dirichlet boundary conditions was:

[itex]\varphi(\vec{r})= \int_V dV' G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'}) \rho(\vec{r'}) - \epsilon_0 \int_S dS' \frac{\partial{G_D(\vec{r},\vec{r'})}}{\partial{n}} \varphi(\vec{r'})[/itex]
    and so it appears that we've neglected the second term in the formula when we've written down the potential above at (*). Is this because the formula given for phi has a phi in the second term and so we can't apply it or something???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi latentcorpse! :smile:

In ∫SdS'…φ, if S is the z=0 plane (and a hemisphere at infinity?), then isn't φ 0 over S?

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    Re: Electrostatics

sorry could u perhaps give a bit more explanation please - i can't really see what you mean?

5. Mar 7, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

perhaps i'm misunderstanding the question :confused:

i meant, if S is the surface with the Dirichlet boundary condition mentioned in the question,
    then φ = 0 all over S, so the second integral is ∫S0 dS' = 0 ?

6. Mar 7, 2009 #5
    Re: Electrostatics

lol. good point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook