Charge flow when mica dielectric fills an air capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Jscrub
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I cannot figure out this problem...can someone help me?

A 3500 air-gap capacitor is connected to a 32 battery.

If a piece of mica fills the space between the plates, how much charge will flow from the battery?


Express your answer using two significant figures.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jscrub! Welcome to PF! :wink:

First, how much charge will flow from the battery when the gap is just air?

Second, what equations do you know about how a dielectric affects a field or a capacitor? :smile:
 
Jscrub said:
A 3500 air-gap capacitor is connected to a 32 battery.

What is a 3500 air-gap capacitor?

Is that a 3500μf capacitor or 3500nf?

What is the effect of the dielectric on the capacitance?

I don't follow your conclusion
so, Co= 1.12E-4

Haven't you added a dielectric to your capacitor?
 
The above was not a conclusion..it was just a reply to the previous person...

Co = 3500E-9...

But it is fine..I don't need anymore help...I figured it out...

Thanks