1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge in a Magnetic Field question

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-12-6_17-50-39.png

upload_2016-12-6_17-52-56.png

These are two similar questions, one from my previous exam and one from a sample test my teacher provided. I understand how to work the problem, but my question is how is the i or j component decided in each of these?

2. Relevant equations

From our formula sheet...
    upload_2016-12-6_17-59-35.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    File_000.jpeg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is a coordinate system provided that gives the direction of the unit vectors. The direction of the force on charge q (assuming it is positive) is the same as the direction of the induced current at the position of the charge if the dotted circle were a circular metal loop. The induced current can either be clockwise or counterclockwise. This eliminates all the ## \hat{j}## options in the first picture and all the ##\hat{i}## options in the second picture. The sign depends on whether you have clockwise or counterclockwise current flow. Can you figure that out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted