• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Charge inside of Conducting Shell

Homework Statement

A positive point charge q is located inside a neutral hollow spherical conducting shell. The shell has inner radius a and outer radius b; b − a is not negligible. The shell is centered on the origin. Assume that the point charge q is located at the origin in the very center of the shell.

a. iii. Determine the electric potential at x = a.

http://www.aapt.org/physicsteam/2015/upload/E3-2-2-solutions.pdf

Homework Equations

V = Kq/r, gauss's law

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so the solution is in the link above. However, I don't understand why the potential at a is Kq/b. I know that the potential at A and B must be the same. If you look at it from outside the shell, the potential is Kq/r for r>b and this predicts Va = Vb = Kq/b. However, if you look at it from inside the shell, the potential is Kq/r for r<a and this predicts Va = Kq/a which is not correct. What is wrong with the second approach?

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
However, if you look at it from inside the shell, the potential is Kq/r for r<a and this predicts Va = Kq/a which is not correct.
That would be true if the field from the charge extended unbroken to infinity. But it does not. The field has a gap from r = a to r = b.

SammyS
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Ok so the solution is in the link above. However, I don't understand why the potential at a is Kq/b. I know that the potential at A and B must be the same. If you look at it from outside the shell, the potential is Kq/r for r>b and this predicts Va = Vb = Kq/b. However, if you look at it from inside the shell, the potential is Kq/r for r<a and this predicts Va = Kq/a which is not correct. What is wrong with the second approach?
The usual convention is for the potential to be zero as r → ∞ .

If you take Va = kq/a, then the potential on the outer surface, r = b, is also kq/a rather than being kq/b. This gives a potential as r → ∞ of kq(1/a - 1/b) .