Charge of a segment of an infintely long wire

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linus Pauling
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Charge Wire
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
Linus Pauling
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
1. The electric field 5.70 cm from a very long charged wire is ( 1900 N/C,toward the wire). What is the charge (in nC) on a 1.0-cm-long segment of the wire?



2. E_line = (1/4*pi*epsilon) * (2*lambda/r), lambda = Q/L



3. Using the above equation, I solved for Q using r = 5.7 cm and L = 1 cm, and got an answer several orders of magnitude off. I assume I am using incorrect r and L values. What, exactly, am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're using the right values. I'm guessing you made a calculation error or a unit conversion error.