1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge particle between 2 paralleled plates

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the figure below, a charged particle (either an electron or a proton) is moving rightward between two parallel charged plates separated by distance d = 2.30 mm. The particle is speeding up from an initial speed of 3640 km/s at the left plate. W0543-N.jpg

2. Relevant equations

The equation that I was given to use (The one my professor worked out on the board) is:

W(cons)=-ΔV=ΔK=-(-e)(ΔV)=1/2 m(particle)(Vf2-Vi2)

The first part of the problem was to find out if the particle was an electron or a proton. It is an electron.

3. The attempt at a solution

1/2 (9.1*10-31)*36402= 6.02*10-24

This was not correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2
    So... what's the question?

4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    I need help in solving this problem. I cannot figure it out and the equation I was using did not work. What equation would you use to solve it?

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Equation to find what? You haven't stated what it is you are trying to find. Where in your problem statement does it specify what it is that you looking for?

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5
    What is its speed just as it reaches the plate at the right?

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

So, in your solution attempt, what was the equation you used (it's general form; what does it calculate)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook