1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge surrounded by charged conducting sphere

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    A spherical conducting shell with charge total q surrounds a charge –2q at the center of the shell. The
    charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the shell are respectively

I know that if the conducting sphere has no charge the inner and outer charges would be +2q, and -2q respectively but how does q play in this problem ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to explain the case:
    if the conducting sphere has no charge the inner and outer charges would be +2q, and -2q respectively​
    ?

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    Sorry this is another scenario where the conducting sphere has no charge. I want to know what happens if the conducting sphere has a charge of q. How does that affect the inner and outer charges ?

5. May 2, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to explain the case:
    if the conducting sphere has a charge of q. How does that affect the inner and outer charges ?​
    I need to know if you understand the reasoning involved in the case where the sphere is uncharged.

6. May 2, 2013 #5
    Because the positive charge would induce a negative charge on the inner surface of the shell and the outer shell would have a positive induced charged. Thats how it was explained to me

7. May 2, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know Gauss's Law? Using it tells us that charge on the inner surface of the conducting shell must be equal in magnitude, and opposite in sign to the charge at the center.

8. May 6, 2013 #7
    So then the charge at the inner circle would be +2q and since the outer shell has a charge of q the charge outside would be equal and opposite giving us -q. Right ? Sorry I took so long have 4 finals to study for =/

9. May 6, 2013 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that is correct.

10. May 6, 2013 #9
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted