Charged particle and virtual photons

In summary, the force which dragged the particle sideways is due to the presence of a dipole magnet yoke with field lines from top to bottom. The classical explanation is well-described, using the Liénard-Wiechert and the E. M. Pucell explanation. QFT is still relevant in this scenario-- and so is the choice of a gauge.
xaratustra
Imagine I am sitting on a lead ion and fly happily through the LHC tube :approve:. Suddenly I feel an strong force pushing me sideways to the left. A physicist sitting in the lab frame tells me later, that I have been going through a dipole magnet yoke with field lines from top to bottom.

How do I understand the force which is dragging me on the quantum level? Is it possible to describe this with collisions with virtual photos? If yes, then why to the left and not some other directions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start classically to see something interesting. The magnetic field is described in the lab frame, but if you look for a description of what is happening to the particle in the particle frame, the relativistic frame change will alter the charge densities in the currents that cause the B field. In the particle frame, it sees a net charge on the left and right that pushes it left. Now you asked for a field theoretic answer, not a classical one, but my point is that the question is the same as asking for an interpretation of the source of electric field. That is indeed often described in terms of virtual photons, but the whole concept of virtual photons seems very contentious. On another thread, I asked exactly this question, and it seems that it depends on who you put it to as to whether or not the virtual photon concept is a good one here.

Thanks. Indeed I was interested in the field theoretical approach. How would QFT deal with the deflection of say an electron going through a dipole magnet?

The classical version seems to be well explained, using the Liénard-Wiechert and the E. M. Pucell explanation e.g. http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/mrr/MRRtalk.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, that clarifies the role of frame changes. But frame changes are still relevant in QFT-- and so is the choice of a gauge. I believe that in the frame of the charge, and in the appropriate gauge, there are no virtual particles there-- just the Coulomb potential of the length-contracted charge density. But in a different gauge, the virtual photons show up as gauge bosons. So I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the scenario you describe is not so different from two interacting stationary charges, and whether you treat that in a gauge where invoking virtual photons would be useful, seems to be up to you.

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are particles that possess an electric charge, either positive or negative. Examples of charged particles include protons, electrons, and ions.

2. What is the role of charged particles in electricity and magnetism?

Charged particles play a crucial role in electricity and magnetism as they are responsible for creating electric and magnetic fields. These fields interact with other charged particles, causing them to move and creating electrical currents.

3. What are virtual photons?

Virtual photons are particles that mediate the electromagnetic force between charged particles. They are not physical particles, but rather are virtual particles that are exchanged between charged particles to create the electromagnetic interaction.

4. How are virtual photons related to the concept of quantum mechanics?

Virtual photons are one of the key components of the quantum mechanical description of the electromagnetic force. In quantum mechanics, particles are described as both particles and waves, and virtual photons are considered to be the quanta (or packets) of the electromagnetic wave.

5. Can virtual photons be observed or detected?

No, virtual photons cannot be directly observed or detected. They are only a mathematical concept used to explain the interaction between charged particles. However, their effects can be observed through various experiments and measurements in the field of quantum physics.