1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charged particle in a cloud chamber?

1. Jun 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    when a charged particle enters a magnetic field in a cloud chamber, why does it move in a circular path instead of straight line? I have no idea why. please help

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    it has something to do with the r changing? as I said, I have no idea.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2010 #2
    Do you know the rules governing moving charges in uniform B fields and how the direction of the Force is oriented? Some use the right hand rule? Is this familiar?

4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    As pgardn mentions above, a magnetic field interacts with a charged particle in quite a peculiar way. Similar to a ball being spun on a string, the magnetic field exerts a centripetal force to the component of the charge's velocity that is perpendicular to the field (whew. that sounded like a lot to digest!). What this basically means is that the magnetic force exerted on the charge always alters the charge's path, making it move in a circular path instead of a straight line.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook