Charged particle in a cloud chamber?

In summary: This is because the magnetic force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the charge. In summary, when a charged particle enters a magnetic field in a cloud chamber, it moves in a circular path due to the magnetic force exerted on it, which is always perpendicular to its velocity.
chem_is_lovex

Homework Statement

when a charged particle enters a magnetic field in a cloud chamber, why does it move in a circular path instead of straight line? I have no idea why. please help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it has something to do with the r changing? as I said, I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
chem_is_lovex said:

Homework Statement

when a charged particle enters a magnetic field in a cloud chamber, why does it move in a circular path instead of straight line? I have no idea why. please help

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

it has something to do with the r changing? as I said, I have no idea.

Do you know the rules governing moving charges in uniform B fields and how the direction of the Force is oriented? Some use the right hand rule? Is this familiar?

As pgardn mentions above, a magnetic field interacts with a charged particle in quite a peculiar way. Similar to a ball being spun on a string, the magnetic field exerts a centripetal force to the component of the charge's velocity that is perpendicular to the field (whew. that sounded like a lot to digest!). What this basically means is that the magnetic force exerted on the charge always alters the charge's path, making it move in a circular path instead of a straight line.

1. What is a cloud chamber and how does it work?

A cloud chamber is a device used to detect and track the path of charged particles, such as electrons or protons, by creating a visible trail in a supersaturated vapor. The chamber consists of a sealed container filled with a gas, typically alcohol or water vapor, that is kept at a constant temperature. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the gas molecules, leaving a trail of ions behind. These ions act as condensation nuclei for the vapor, creating a visible cloud-like trail that can be captured by a camera or observed directly.

2. What types of particles can be detected in a cloud chamber?

Cloud chambers can detect a wide range of charged particles, including electrons, protons, alpha particles, and even cosmic rays. These particles can be naturally occurring, such as those emitted from radioactive materials, or they can be artificially produced in particle accelerators.

3. How does a cloud chamber help in studying particle physics?

A cloud chamber is a valuable tool for studying particle physics because it allows scientists to visualize and track the path of charged particles. By analyzing the shape, size, and curvature of the particle tracks, scientists can gather information about the charge, mass, and energy of the particles. This information can then be used to study the fundamental properties of matter and the interactions between particles.

4. Are there any limitations to using a cloud chamber?

While cloud chambers are a useful tool for studying charged particles, they do have some limitations. They can only detect charged particles, so neutral particles like photons cannot be detected. Additionally, the sensitivity of the chamber can be affected by external factors, such as temperature and humidity, which can impact the visibility and accuracy of the particle tracks.

5. How has the cloud chamber contributed to advancements in science?

The cloud chamber has played a crucial role in numerous scientific discoveries and advancements. It has been used to study the properties of subatomic particles, uncover new particles, and confirm theories such as the existence of antimatter. It has also been used in medical research to study the effects of radiation on living cells and to develop radiation therapy treatments. Overall, the cloud chamber has provided valuable insights into the nature of matter and has contributed to our understanding of the universe.