Charged sphere hanging from a string-Find the charge?

In summary, a charged sphere of mass 126 g is attached to a string and placed in an electric field of 151 N/C. The sphere is in equilibrium at an angle of 30 degrees with the y-axis. The tension in the string must be balanced by the electric force, which can be represented by the equation F=QE. Using this equation, the charge on the sphere is found to be 0.00944 C. However, there may have been some mistakes in the calculations and further analysis is needed.
Hayliee30
Charged sphere hanging from a string--Find the charge?

A small, plastic sphere of mass m = 126 g is attached to a string as shown in the figure. There is an electric field of 151 N/C directed along the + x axis. If the string makes an angle 30 degrees with the y-axis when the sphere is in equilibrium, what is the charge on the sphere?

http://s1345.photobucket.com/editor...4-01-19at25516PM_zps9741502d.png.html?filters[media%5Ftype]=image&sort=3&o=0

I figured you could use the equation F=QE ---------> you're given E, and I think you have the information to find F?

I did the following:

Tcos30 = mg

T= mg/cos30--------> (.126 kg x 9.8)/cos30-------> T= 1.4258

So I assume T is the only force to consider..therefore:

F=QE

1.4258 = 151Q

Q= .00944 C

For some reason this answer isn't correct. So what am I doing wrong? I thought about multiplying the force side of the equation(1.4258) by sin30..however I don't see why I would do that. Anyways, can anyone help me?? I've been stuck on this problem all day! I greatly appreciate any help given.

Physics news on Phys.org
The sphere is in the vicinity of the electric field directed horizontally. This creates an electric force of magnitude qE on the sphere. For the sphere to be in equilibrium at angle θ, this force must be balanced.

Right, I'm aware the force must be balanced. However, I believe I'm missing something. I have gravity and tension as forces; gravity acting straight down onto the sphere and Tcos30 in the +y direction. I'm assuming you incorporate the tension in the +x direction, as well, to put it into equilibrium, but I'm not sure how to do this. My guess would be Tsin30---> 1.4258(.5)= .7129. Then would I set up the equation 1.4258(.7129) = 151q? I'm still slightly confused.

Yes, Tsinθ is the horizontal component of tension that would balance the electric force qE. The gravitational force balances the vertical component Tcosθ, as you said. From the analysis of the statics in the vertical direction, you can obtain T. Use this for the analysis in the horizontal direction to then get q.

I think this is what you were trying to do but the final equation you wrote is not correct, which may have been more obvious to you if you had used variables up to the point where you obtain an explicit expression for q.

Oh okay, I understand now! Thank you so much for the help!

What is the charged sphere hanging from a string experiment?

The charged sphere hanging from a string experiment is a physics experiment that involves suspending a charged sphere from a string and measuring the angle of deflection of the string. This allows for the calculation of the charge of the sphere.

What materials are needed for the charged sphere hanging from a string experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a charged sphere, a string, a ruler, a protractor, a stand, and a power supply. The charged sphere can be made of any conductive material, while the string should be thin and lightweight. The stand should be stable enough to hold the string without too much movement.

What is the principle behind the charged sphere hanging from a string experiment?

The principle behind this experiment is Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. By measuring the angle of deflection of the string, the force acting on the sphere can be calculated and used to determine the charge of the sphere.

What are some sources of error in the charged sphere hanging from a string experiment?

Some possible sources of error in this experiment include air currents, which can cause the string to move and affect the measurement of the angle of deflection. The precision of the measurement instruments, such as the ruler and protractor, can also contribute to errors. Additionally, the charge on the sphere may not be evenly distributed, leading to uneven deflection of the string.

What are some real-world applications of the charged sphere hanging from a string experiment?

This experiment has many real-world applications, including in the calibration of instruments used to measure electric charge, such as electroscopes. It is also used in quality control for electronic devices to ensure they have the correct charge. Additionally, the principles learned from this experiment are used in industries such as telecommunications, where accurate measurement of electric charge is crucial.