Finding Angle of String with Two Charged Balls

• Thread starter Quinn Pochekailo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle String
In summary: You can use the Law of Cosines to find the angle between the two lines. The cosine of the angle between the two lines is equal to the sine of the angle between the two charges. So, all you need to do is plug in the values for the charges and the angle, and you'll get the sine and cosine of the tension force's x and y components.
Quinn Pochekailo

Homework Statement

http://loncapa.vcu.edu/res/vcu/phys202/zzImages/Ch25_TB.jpg
A charged ball with charge Q1 = 0.1 μC and mass 0.05 kg is suspended from a ceiling with a thin massless string as shown in the figure. The second charged ball has a net charge Q2 = -0.5 μC and it is located d = 0.3 m away from the suspended ball. What is the angle θ that the string makes with the vertical (dahsed vertical line) as shown in the figure? Provide your answer in degrees. (Note: The dashed horizontal line is not a string or rod, it only designates the distance d between the two spheres)

Homework Equations

F=(K*Q1*Q2)/ (d^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the charges to C first, getting 1e-7 and -.5e-7. Because the charges are attracting, I found that the force is equal to 5.6e-14, which would be my force in the x component. The y force component would be equal to F=mg, which is (.05 * 10). How would I go about finding the angle with these 2 values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quinn Pochekailo said:
I converted the charges to C first, getting 1e-7 and -.5e-7. Because the charges are attracting, I found that the force is equal to 5.6e-14, which would be my force in the x component. The y force component would be equal to F=mg, which is (.05 * 10). How would I go about finding the angle with these 2 values?
You have a force whose x component is known and whose y component is known, right?

There is an easy way to do this and a hard way. The hard way is to compute the magnitude of the tension force first. You know its x and y components, so you should be able to find its magnitude. Then write down an equation for the x component of the tension force in terms of its angle and magnitude.

The easy way is to think about the ratio of the two components. There is a trig function that is equal to that ratio...

Edit: Or, there is a slightly easier way, if you are comfortable with small angle approximations.

What is the "angle of a string"?

The angle of a string refers to the angle at which a string or rope is pulled or suspended. It is the angle between the string and the horizontal or vertical axis.

Why is it important to find the angle of a string?

Finding the angle of a string is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to determine the tension and forces acting on the string, which can be useful in designing structures, analyzing mechanical systems, and solving trigonometric problems.

How do you calculate the angle of a string?

The angle of a string can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific formula depends on the given information, such as the length of the string, the distance between the string and the point of suspension, and the weight or force applied to the string.

Can the angle of a string be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle of a string can be greater than 90 degrees. This is known as an obtuse angle, and it occurs when the string is pulled or suspended at a downward angle.

What are some real-life applications of finding the angle of a string?

Finding the angle of a string is commonly used in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the slope of a roof, calculating the tension on cables supporting a bridge, and analyzing the forces acting on a pendulum. It is also used in sports, such as rock climbing and sailing, to determine the angle and direction of ropes or rigging.