Charges placed on a hexogon, working out the force and energy

In summary: It looks like you're assuming that the distance between F and D is the same as between F and E, which isn't quite the case. It's close, but not quite the same.Also, you should be dividing by 2 in your final answer, since you're double counting all the pairs (i,j) and (j,i).In summary, in the given problem, six equal charges of Q coulombs are placed at the vertices of a regular hexagon of side a, resulting in a net force acting on the charge at point D. The method used to calculate this force involved looking at the symmetry of the problem and eliminating unnecessary calculations. For the second part of the question, calculating the total electrostatic energy of
loba333
Six equal charges, each Q coulombs, are placed at the vertices of a regular
hexagon of side a, as shown above. What is the net force acting on the charge
at D as a result of the other 5 charges? [3]
d) Calculate the total electrostatic energy of the system of 6 charges in (c)

Its only work 3 marks so i thought resolving all the forces for each charge would be a be a bit long and was wondering if there was a quicker method ?

also how would you approach the second part of the question (d)

Cheers

Heres a photo of the question

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb327/loba333/photouckt.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the symmetry of the problem is there anything that you can eliminate from the symmetry?

Im new to the whole symmetry concept in terms of using to help with physics problems.

are u saying i only need to work out the bottom half of the hexagon ie the force due to A F and E, then i can just use the same forces and say E=C and F=B but with opposite y coponets ie j=-j

are u saying i only need to work out the bottom half of the hexagon ie the force due to A F and E

Yes! That is exactly what I'm saying. However furthermore:

then i can just use the same forces and say E=C and F=B but with opposite y coponets ie j=-j

If the y-components of E and F are the same as C and B except with "-j", then what will you get if you add the y-components of just these four charges ([tex]E_y+C_y+F_y+B_y = ?[/tex]) together?

also for the second part how would u calculate the electrostatic energy of the entire system ?

i know you would use U=kq1q2/r

But which ones do i use. I know from a lecture it is easy to double the energy unnecessarily .

loba333 said:
also for the second part how would u calculate the electrostatic energy of the entire system ?

i know you would use U=kq1q2/r

But which ones do i use. I know from a lecture it is easy to double the energy unnecessarily .

You can sum the contributions to the overall energy that occur when you bring each charge in one by one. As each one "arrives", you calculate the work done against each of the other charges already in place (so the first one's "free"). For six charges that's a fair amount of algebra. You may want to pre-calculate all the distances from one vertex to all the others (again, symmetry helps) for reference.

Keep in mind that sin(30) = 1/2, and cos(30) = sqrt(3)/2; You don't have to carry the sin and cos functions along through the calculations.

loba333 said:
Cheers man, symetrys a pretty beautiful thing when your doing somthing like this.
I'v just worked through it, would u mind having a look to see if its right

Kind regards

Dave

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb327/loba333/IMG_1459.jpg

The answer looks good! Symmetry (not just necessarily reflectional symmetry as this problem demonstrates) is probably the most amazing idea you will ever learn about in physics.

But the take home message for this problem is that in the case of electro/magneto-statics typically you always want to start by looking for symmetry in problems.

What is the formula for calculating the force of a charge on a hexagon?

The formula for calculating the force of a charge on a hexagon is F = k * (Q1 * Q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges on the hexagon, and r is the distance between the charges.

How do you determine the direction of the force on a charge placed on a hexagon?

The direction of the force on a charge placed on a hexagon can be determined using the concept of electric fields. The force will act in the direction of the electric field, which is determined by the sign and magnitude of the charges on the hexagon.

What is the relationship between energy and charges on a hexagon?

The relationship between energy and charges on a hexagon is that the potential energy of a charge on a hexagon is directly proportional to the charge and the distance between the charges. As the charges or distance increase, the potential energy also increases.

How can the net force on a hexagon be calculated if it has multiple charges placed on it?

To calculate the net force on a hexagon with multiple charges, you can use vector addition. Break down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then add them together to determine the total net force on the hexagon.

What is the unit of measurement for force and energy in the context of charges on a hexagon?

The unit of measurement for force in the context of charges on a hexagon is Newtons (N), and the unit for energy is Joules (J). These units are derived from the SI unit system and are commonly used in physics calculations.