Question on electric filed of an insulating cylinder

In summary, the problem involves an infinitely long insulating cylinder with a non-uniform spherically symmetric charge distribution. The density is given by rho(r) = (rho(0)/R)r. The electric field at a distance r from the axis is calculated for r > R and r < R. The solution involves finding expressions for the total charge contained within a Gaussian surface per length L and applying Gauss' law.
loba333
An infinitely long insulating solid cylinder of radius R contains a non-uniform
spherically symmetric charge distribution, whose density is given by
rho r = rho(0) r/ R. Calculate the electric field a distance r from its axis:
(i) when r > R;
(ii) when r < R.

Can some please expalin to me how to do this. i could be able to do it for a sphere with a charge q but the formula (rho r = r(0) r/ R) has thrown me off.

Heres the question
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb327/loba333/photobucket2.png

Cheers guys !

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why is there an r either side of the quation ?

loba333 probably meant rho(r) = (rho(0)/R)r, as in rho a linear function of r.

no one ?

The problem states that the cylinder is insulating, with a given charge distribution throughout. So for iii) your assumption about the enclosed charge being zero for r < R is invalid.

You're going to want to find expressions for the total charge contained within the Gaussian surface per length L, then apply Gauss' law to find the form of the electric field.

1. What is an insulating cylinder?

An insulating cylinder is a type of object that does not conduct electricity. It is made of a material that does not allow the flow of electric current through it.

2. How is the electric field of an insulating cylinder calculated?

The electric field of an insulating cylinder can be calculated by dividing the charge on the cylinder by the product of its length and the permittivity of the material it is made of.

3. How does the electric field vary with distance from the insulating cylinder?

The electric field around an insulating cylinder follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the cylinder increases, the electric field decreases.

4. Can an insulating cylinder have a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, an insulating cylinder can have a non-uniform electric field if the charge on the cylinder is not evenly distributed or if there are other objects nearby that can affect the electric field.

5. How does an insulating cylinder differ from a conducting cylinder in terms of electric field?

An insulating cylinder does not allow the flow of electric current, while a conducting cylinder allows it to pass through. This results in a different distribution and strength of the electric field around the two types of cylinders.