Charges pushed to the ends of a pole -- Faraday's law

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Eitan Levy
Messages
259
Reaction score
11

Homework Statement


We put a pole with a length of 0.2m in a magnetic field equals to 0.4T and move it with a velocity of 4m/s.
What is the value of the charges that accumulate in the ends of the pole?

Homework Equations


E=Bv
ε=El

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that E=1.6V/M and ε=0.32V (Book says it is correct). However I have no idea how to calculate the charge.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again,

As you should know by now,
Eitan Levy said:
However I have no idea
doesn't count as an attempt at solution !
Assuming the pole is a conductor, what is the electric field inside ?
 
BvU said:
Hello again,

As you should know by now,
doesn't count as an attempt at solution !
Assuming the pole is a conductor, what is the electric field inside ?
I think I understand. Assuming I am allowed to look at the charges as if they are very small, I can look at one end of the pole and say that E=KQ/R^2, and then I can get Q.
 
BvU said:
That's for vacuum.
It does give the correct answer according to the book. What would you use?
 
Eitan Levy said:
It does give the correct answer according to the book. What would you use
There's no aguing that, is there? My idea was that electric field inside a conductor has to be zero (or else the charge carriers move). Appears to boil down to the same answer.
 
BvU said:
There's no aguing that, is there? My idea was that electric field inside a conductor has to be zero (or else the charge carriers move). Appears to boil down to the same answer.
Can you explain how?
 
There will be electric field inside the material of the pole and there will be some charge accumulation on the pole. http://schoolbag.info/physics/sat/73.html

But the distribution of charge will be complicated. There will be charge not just at the ends of the pole. I don't see a way to evaluate the charge "in the ends of the pole".