1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging current - jumpstarting a car

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A 12-V battery with internal resistance of 0.02 Ω is used to charge a battery with an emf of 10.5 V and an internal resistance of 0.15 Ω. What is the charging current?

We don't have any examples in the book or class notes about connecting 2 batteries of differing voltages in parallel.

My guess would be to average the batteries' voltages to 11 V, add the resistors, then use I=V/R = 11 / 0.17 = 1.6 amps. Another student got 11.53 amps, but I'm not sure of his method. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You connect the batteries in parallel so the 12V is trying to push current into the 10.5V - this is a potential difference of 1.5V

4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. In that case, I get I=1.5/0.17 = 8.8 Amps. Is that the way to do it? The only examples in the book have junctions with 3 branches, needing Kirchhoff's Rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?