Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charts on Topological Manifolds - Simple Notational Issue

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    I am reading "An Introduction to Differential Topology" by Dennis Barden and Charles Thomas ...

I am focussed on Chapter 1: Differential Manifolds and Differentiable Maps ...

I need some help and clarification on an apparently simple notational issue regarding the definition of a chart (Definition 1.1.3) ...

Definition 1.1.3 reads as follows:

?temp_hash=df27f89f2e21dffb8b683d0466b294ab.png

My question regarding this definition is as follows:

What is the meaning of [itex]M[/itex] and how does it differ from [itex]M^m[/itex]?

Surely the relationship between [itex]M[/itex] and [itex]M^m[/itex] is not the same as the relationship between [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]R^m[/itex] ... ???

I am not even sure what [itex]M[/itex] is ... ?

Can someone clarify the above issue for me ...?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

===========================================================

So that readers can understand the context and notation of Barden and Thomas, I am providing the pages of the text leading up to and including the definition referred to above ... ... as follows ... ...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##M^m## is just a reminder that the manifold ##M## is of ##m## dimensions. So ##M^m = M##.
    I have never seen such a notation but it's clear from definition 1.1.1. It only symbolizes that the (Euclidean) coordinates are in ##ℝ^m##, i.e. there are ##m## coordinates. I guess the author drops the ##m## in ##M^m## and sticks with ##M## when he doesn't need to emphasize the dimension.

4. Feb 21, 2016 #3
    Thanks fresh_42 ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook