[Check for errors]- FREE BODY DIAGRAM for 2 Cylinders.

In summary,The cylinder A has a net force that points downwards. The force that points down is not a reaction. It is the weight of the cylinder. The force that points up is the reaction force from the ground.
Dellis
Ok as you seen I been trying to get familiar with a few different type of exercises, this is a FBD type exercise.

I attached the picture showing the exercise done, I just want you to check if you notice any errors, thanks you.

Homework Statement

Cylinder A- Mass 75kg and Diameter-400 mm, then Cylinder B- Mass 50kg and Diameter 200mm

Attachments

• FREE BODY DIAGRAM.JPG
    FREE BODY DIAGRAM.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 820
Physics news on Phys.org
In FBD you draw the powers that bodies experience. You wrote apart from their weights the forces exerted by the bodies. Also think that the body B has a net force different than zero but it can't move..

paul232 said:
In FBD you draw the powers that bodies experience. You wrote apart from their weights the forces exerted by the bodies. Also think that the body B has a net force different than zero but it can't move..

Thanks for the reply, but

What do you mean by that?, I really thought I did it right?

you sure is not right?

Last edited:
Your scetch is like this Cylinder 1.jpg

The force F1 is extracted by the body A on the body B. So it should be shown on B's FBD.

The force F2 is extracted by the body A on the wall. So it should be shown on Wall's FBD

Cylinder 2.jpg

The forces -F1 and -F2 in my scetch are those that should be in your A's FBD.
The point of FBDs is to make easier calculate the accelerations on the different axes of the bodies in our system. We can't calculate their acceleration if we don't draw the forces they experience from other bodies.

Attachments

• Cylinder 1.jpg
    Cylinder 1.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,142
  • Cylinder 2.jpg
    Cylinder 2.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 492
I forgot to add the reaction force from the ground.. Sorry

Thanks for the help, you went beyond the call of duty with that one, appreciate it.

so you're saying the Force from the right and the force from the B cylinders were missing?

everything else is all good?

Wait with what you said there and even posted a pic, I can assume that the Cylinder B

also needs a Force from the right like this <------ and not like I have it which is like ------->

correct? or I am I looking too deep into it??

Look:
1) yes the Cylinder B needs a force from the right.
2) to understand the whole thing better, think why you drew your forces like that. Think why you drew F3 pointing to the right.
3) When you give it a though you ll understand that F3 is the Force that Cylinder B exerts on the Wall.. What you need is the Force that the wall exerts on the Cylinder. Think about it... Think about the Forces that act ON each of the cylinders and try to make sense of it..

paul232 said:
I forgot to add the reaction force from the ground.. Sorry

What do you mean?, the reaction from the group UP^?

paul232 said:
Look:
1) yes the Cylinder B needs a force from the right.
2) to understand the whole thing better, think why you drew your forces like that. Think why you drew F3 pointing to the right.
3) When you give it a though you ll understand that F3 is the Force that Cylinder B exerts on the Wall.. What you need is the Force that the wall exerts on the Cylinder. Think about it... Think about the Forces that act ON each of the cylinders and try to make sense of it..

1- Well thanks to your drawing I figured that's what I missed there

2- I drew them like I did because I am going by the reaction of the Cylider, you're showing me that it needs to be the other areas reaction with the Cylinder

3. Yeah part 2 pretty much explains that I didn't follow the correct process

Here is the edited picture, with your advise taken into account, I am not sure if I am missing any other reactions,

You did say something about missing the reaction form the ground?, perhaps my edited still pic is still wrong but check out and provide further guidance please.

Attachments

• FREE BODY DIAGRAM.JPG
    FREE BODY DIAGRAM.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 528
Look.. Thats how the FBDs should look like. Think about it and if you don't understand something tell me. The forces shown in FBDs are the forces that have the potential to accelerate the body

Attachments

• Cylinder 2.jpg
    Cylinder 2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 373
  • Cylinder 3.jpg
    Cylinder 3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 377
Thanks for clearing that up, I do have a question,

Can you explain how in Cylinder A got reaction up and down in the same route?

I never seen that in class, then again we never did this type of exercise in class just

beams.

The force that points down is not a reaction. Its the weight of the cylinder ( the force that Earth exerts on the cylinder ). Also its clear that the cylinder does not move downwards so there is a force that act upwards. That force is the 3rd Newton's pair of the net force on the y -axis (but finding the force is another story).

paul232 said:
The force that points down is not a reaction. Its the weight of the cylinder ( the force that Earth exerts on the cylinder ). Also its clear that the cylinder does not move downwards so there is a force that act upwards. That force is the 3rd Newton's pair of the net force on the y -axis (but finding the force is another story).

Oh no I got that much, I was just wondering how it was presented because I never seen anything like that before, but like I said before we never did these types in class all we
done is beams with Pins and Weights on them.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up and helping me understand while also going beyond the call of duty, that's very much appreciated, I been on these forums for past 48 hours seeking guidance and I learned a lot in that time frame.

Last edited:
No prob man. cya around : )

paul232 said:
No prob man. cya around : )

I noticed you used Mg for the Weight, you did that as an example or I am missing something here?,

I thought for a F.B.D. you show what is given to you?, no conversions or anything like that
needs to be done.

W=mg its a formulae.. You don't need to worry abou this. It's more convenient to write mg rather than W while it means the exact same thing. No1 would never argue about that.
You always show the weight except if the problem states that it s negligible ( which is very very rare ).

Ah ok, I was just making sure, I mean the problem here has specific Kg masses for

each of the Cylinders, so I was just making sure wondering why you didn't use

the given Kg mass, clearly I need to use them though.

Its better not to put numbers in FBDs. They are to help you. You can then write the equations and substitute the numbers.

paul232 said:
Its better not to put numbers in FBDs. They are to help you. You can then write the equations and substitute the numbers.

Keep in mind this a basic FBD and the teacher said he wanted to see all the given info

portrayed in the FBD, nothing about equations or nothing like that, he just wants to see

a F.B.D. and that's it.

Still its better to draw the FBD with notation and then state the numbers.

paul232 said:
Still its better to draw the FBD with notation and then state the numbers.

ah ok, I will make sure to tell the teacher that, he has never said that in class.hey can you help me out in the other thread, dealing with Circle with forces, asking to compute the magnitude( which I did already ) and direction of the resultant couple acting on the body.( I don't get this part )check it out

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=353184

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It shows all the external forces acting on the object and their direction.

2. Why is a free body diagram important in science?

A free body diagram helps scientists understand the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. It is an important tool for analyzing and predicting the behavior of objects.

3. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you need to identify all the external forces acting on the object and draw them as arrows pointing in the direction of the force. Label each force and make sure the arrows are proportional to the magnitude of the force.

4. What are some common errors to watch out for when drawing a free body diagram?

Some common errors when drawing a free body diagram include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, drawing the arrows in the wrong direction, and incorrectly labeling the forces. It is important to carefully analyze the situation and double-check the diagram to ensure accuracy.

5. Can a free body diagram be used for any type of object?

Yes, a free body diagram can be used for any object, as long as it is subjected to external forces. It is a useful tool for analyzing the forces acting on stationary or moving objects in various situations.