Check my work please? Circuit analysis, resistors in parallel, help

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a circuit problem and sharing their solution. They are unsure about the sign convention for sources and whether the power dissipated in the resistors is negative or positive. However, they eventually figure out the solution and confirm that the power dissipated in the resistors is positive.
nchin
Can someone check my work for me please? I'm pretty sure i made a mistake with the sign convention but I'm not sure which sources are supposed to be negative. help!

Problem:
http://imageshack.us/a/img201/339/circuitzz.png

My solution:
http://imageshack.us/a/img191/8049/circuitz.png

The top half is me solving the left side the circuit and the bottom half is the right side of the circuit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The basic calculations/magnitude look fine to me. However the passive convention says that the power of the sources would be negative. So for example the power of the 60V source is -0.6W.

Examples..
http://circuits.solved-problems.com/456/problem-1-15-power-independent-sources/

Last edited by a moderator:

so if the power of the 60v source is -0.6, does that mean the power in resistor 1 is -0.1 and the power in resisor 2 is -0.5? since power supplied = power dissipated?? (-0.6 = -0.1 + (-0.5))?

ok nvm i figured it out,, but am i solving r3 and r4 correctly?

nchin said:
so if the power of the 60v source is -0.6, does that mean the power in resistor 1 is -0.1 and the power in resisor 2 is -0.5? since power supplied = power dissipated?? (-0.6 = -0.1 + (-0.5))?

No the power dissipated in the resistors is +ve. You write something like..

Power in source + Power in load = 0

-0.6 + 0.1 + 0.5 = 0

I threw away the scrap paper I used yesterday but yes I got the same power disipation as you for R3 and 4.

1. What is a circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis is the process of studying and analyzing electrical circuits to determine their behavior and performance. This involves using mathematical and computational methods to calculate voltages, currents, and other electrical properties of the circuit.

2. How do you calculate resistors in parallel?

To calculate the total resistance of two resistors in parallel, you can use the formula: Rt = (R1 * R2) / (R1 + R2). Simply plug in the values of the resistors and solve for Rt. Alternatively, you can use the reciprocal rule, which states that the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

3. Can you give an example of a circuit analysis problem?

Sure! Let's say we have a circuit with two resistors in parallel, R1 = 2 ohms and R2 = 4 ohms, connected to a 12V battery. To find the total current flowing through the circuit, we can use Ohm's Law (I = V/R) and the reciprocal rule: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 = 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4. Therefore, Rt = 4/3 ohms. Now, we can use Ohm's Law again to find the total current: I = V/Rt = 12V / 4/3 ohms = 9 amps.

4. What is the purpose of analyzing a circuit?

The purpose of analyzing a circuit is to understand how it works and how it will behave under different conditions. This information is crucial in designing and troubleshooting circuits, as well as predicting their performance and making improvements.

5. Do you have any tips for circuit analysis?

Yes! Here are a few tips for circuit analysis: 1) Start by drawing a clear and accurate circuit diagram. 2) Label all components and values. 3) Use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws to solve for unknown values. 4) Check your work by using multiple methods or simulations. 5) Practice, practice, practice!