Check my working for finding if vectors are parallel ?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether two lines are parallel given their equations and direction vectors. The solution involves finding if one direction vector is a multiple of the other, and using the cross product to determine this. While there may be simpler methods, the conclusion is that the working is correct in determining that the lines are not parallel.
brandy

Homework Statement

there is a line through A : (1;-2; 1) and B : (0; 2; 3)
and the line through C : (4; 1;-2) and D : (2; 2; 2)
are they parallel?

The Attempt at a Solution

i said no they weren't.
i had the lines as being:
(-t+1)i+(4t+2)j+(2t+1)k
and (-2t+4)i+(t+1)j+(4t-2)k

and then i took the cross product assuming constants don't count.
and got a determinant-y thing of 21 which is not 0 - why i said it wasn't parallel.
is my working correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's simplify because this is straight forward without the parametrization.

Define a vector between A and B (taking the components and subtracting them) and the same for C and D. Then take the coefficients of one vector and see if we can multiply all of them by one number to get the other.

If you can't find this number, then we're out of luck.

the question asks for the equation of the lines. so i did that.
i posted to see if i made any errors
are my answers correct or are they not?

Ok, we can use the same idea then. See if you can find a number that gets from one line to the other. I wouldn't use a cross product, but if I did, then I'd need to keep the constants.

I'll also hazard that posting sort of opens you up to questions about process and understanding. The important thing here is that we get the process right. You'll probably never see this exact problem again, but you might see a variation. So, seeing if you just "made any errors" is a bit of a misnomer. Life is not about the right answer.

So, no. Its not correct if you left out the constants in the cross product. You can redo that with a half page at best of math or you can use the simpler version from two posts ago.

hmm.
well, we're supposed to use the stuff we are learning about right now.

i was told by my teacher that i could use either dot or cross on the lines.
he did an example for an equation for a line with two variabkes (s and t) and found the normals (another equation with i,j and k in it like my previous ones)
i figured that because there was no 2 variables and it was kind of the same form i didnt need to find the normals. plus i remember him saying something about the constants and how they didnt affect it.
for his example he used dot product, i wanted to try cross product. so. this is my thought process.

hi brandy! :smile:
brandy said:

(-t+1)i+(4t+2)j+(2t+1)k

(4t minus 2) :wink:

brandy said:

Homework Statement

and the line through C : (4; 1;-2) and D : (2; 2; 2)
are they parallel?

The Attempt at a Solution

i said no they weren't.
i had the lines as being:
(-t+1)i+(4t+2)j+(2t+1)k
and (-2t+4)i+(t+1)j+(4t-2)k
So they have "direction vectors" -i+ 4j+ 2k and -2i+ j+ 4k. Is one of those a multiple of the other?

and then i took the cross product assuming constants don't count.
and got a determinant-y thing of 21 which is not 0 - why i said it wasn't parallel.
is my working correct?
Took the cross product of what? I only ask in order to encourage you to think and write more clearly. Yes, the cross product of the two direction vectors would have to be 0 for the lines to be parallel. But I think it is simpler to see if one is a multiple of the other.

thanks tiny-tim

hehe sorry, I am pretty bad at that HallsofIvy.
and ummm no?? i don't think so... :S
does that in itself tell us that it is not parallel?so... it is correct the way i did it? even if it perhaps wasn't the simplest?

1. How do you check if two vectors are parallel?

To check if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product or cross product method. If the dot product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then they are parallel. Similarly, if the cross product of the two vectors is equal to zero, then they are also parallel.

2. What is the difference between dot product and cross product?

The dot product is a scalar value that results from multiplying the magnitudes of two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. It is used to determine the angle between two vectors or if they are parallel. The cross product, on the other hand, results in a vector that is perpendicular to both input vectors and is used to determine if the vectors are parallel or perpendicular.

3. Can two vectors be parallel if they have different magnitudes?

Yes, two vectors can still be parallel even if they have different magnitudes. As long as they have the same direction, they are considered parallel. The magnitude only affects the length of the vector, not its direction.

4. How do you represent parallel vectors mathematically?

If two vectors are parallel, they can be represented as multiples of each other. For example, if vector A = (2,4,6) and vector B = (4,8,12), we can say that vector B is twice vector A, making them parallel.

5. Can more than two vectors be parallel to each other?

Yes, it is possible for more than two vectors to be parallel to each other. For example, in a 3-dimensional space, three vectors can be parallel to each other if they all lie on the same plane and have the same direction. However, it is not possible for more than three vectors to be parallel to each other in a 3-dimensional space.