Proving Simple Inequality: a < b + c < b + d | Homework Solution

In summary: It sounds like you're doing well so far. I would recommend continuing to work through Spivak and try to find a proof writing style that works for you.
brntspawn

Homework Statement

Prove:
If a < b and c < d then a+c < b+d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof
Assume a < b and c < d
then a+c < b+c and b+c < b+d
so a+c < b+c < b+d
therefore a+c < b+d
Q.E.D.

Pointers and suggestions are also welcome. I am looking for writing and presentation tips just as much as I am for accuracy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. The only thing that I would change is "Assume a < b and c < d". Assuming something does not mean it is necessarily correct as a proof by contradiction can demonstrate. So you can change it to something like "Stated a < b and c < d." Since a < b and c < d was given to you.

Squeezebox said:
Looks good. The only thing that I would change is "Assume a < b and c < d". Assuming something does not mean it is necessarily correct as a proof by contradiction can demonstrate. So you can change it to something like "Stated a < b and c < d." Since a < b and c < d was given to you.
Squeezebox, I don't think you know what you're talking about. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that a < b and c < d in this problem, because this statement is the hypothesis.

When you set out to prove a statement such as if p then q, in a direct proof you assume that p is true and then show that this assumption leads to concluding that q is true as well.

Thanks guys. I was actually wondering about the assume part because I know it was drilled into us in class that we should specifically state it. I assume at some point, perhaps when you move from undergrad classes to grad classes you do not specifically need to state it, but I am not sure.
Are we just supposed to list our assumptions for a proof like this so the teacher knows that we know what we are proving?

There's nothing wrong with listing your assumptions explicitly. My own style on homework is to write my solution as a paragraph, stating the assumptions when they are needed. In your case, there is only one assumption, which you used in the beginning, so it seems fine to me. Along the way, you should develop your own writing style, and as long as it remains clear, you're free to experiment.

Yeah that is pretty much where I am at now, realizing that there is no one correct way to write a proof and finding my own style for mine when I write them.
My school used Stewart for its calculus text and I came away with it feeling as though I didn't really understand much. I hated Calculus and couldn't wait to get it over with because all we were doing was doing was plug and chug math. Then I was fortunate enough to have had an instructor for Multivariable Calculus who actually went over some theory and tried to explain what was going on more than "here is this formula, memorize it." So I decided to go through Spivak's Calculus book and do double duty by actually learning Calculus and finding my own proof writing style.

1. What is a simple inequality proof?

A simple inequality proof is a type of mathematical proof that demonstrates the validity of a given inequality. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that one side of the inequality is always greater than or less than the other side.

2. How do you check a simple inequality proof?

To check a simple inequality proof, you can substitute different values for the variables in the inequality and see if the statement remains true. You can also use algebraic manipulations to simplify both sides of the inequality and see if they are equivalent.

3. What are the common types of simple inequalities?

The most common types of simple inequalities are less than (<), greater than (>), less than or equal to (≤), and greater than or equal to (≥). These symbols are used to compare two quantities and indicate which one is larger or smaller.

4. What are some tips for solving simple inequality proofs?

Some tips for solving simple inequality proofs include starting with the side of the inequality that is simpler, breaking up complex expressions into smaller parts, using known properties and rules of inequality, and being careful with the direction of the inequality when multiplying or dividing by a negative number.

5. Why are simple inequality proofs important?

Simple inequality proofs are important because they help us understand and make sense of mathematical relationships between quantities. They also allow us to solve problems involving inequalities, such as finding the range of possible values for a variable, determining the feasibility of a solution, or comparing the efficiency of different methods.