Proving or disproving operations on sets

In summary, the author is unsure how to go about proving that if A⊆B∪C, then A⊆B. However, it is possible for a to not be an element of B and C, and so a counterexample is provided.
ver_mathstats

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: if A⊆B∪C, then A⊆B or A⊆C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to go about proving this. I know that A is a subset of B union C then A is a subset of B or A is a subset of C and I understand what a subset is and what a union is. But I just do not understand how to go about doing this proof.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ver_mathstats said:

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove: if A⊆B∪C, then A⊆B or A⊆C.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of how to go about proving this. I know that A is a subset of B union C then A is a subset of B or A is a subset of C and I understand what a subset is and what a union is. But I just do not understand how to go about doing this proof.

Thank you.
Start by assuming that ##a \in B \cup C##. Is it possible for a to not be an element of B, and also not be an element of C?

Mark44 said:
Start by assuming that ##a \in B \cup C##. Is it possible for a to not be an element of B, and also not be an element of C?
Yes it is possible for a to not be a an element of B and C as well. Could I disprove this with a counter example?

ver_mathstats said:
Yes it is possible for a to not be a an element of B and C as well.
How so? Can you draw a Venn diagram that illustrates this? IOW, ##a \in B \cup C##, but a is not in B and a is not in C.

Mark44 said:
How so? Can you draw a Venn diagram that illustrates this? IOW, ##a \in B \cup C##, but a is not in B and a is not in C.
Sorry I think I am misunderstanding. I thought of A = {8, 9, 10}, B = {8, 9}, and C = {10, 11}. A would be a subset of B union C, but it wouldn't be a subset of B or of C so I had thought that perhaps I could use that but I don't know.

ver_mathstats said:
Sorry I think I am misunderstanding. I thought of A = {8, 9, 10}, B = {8, 9}, and C = {10, 11}. A would be a subset of B union C, but it wouldn't be a subset of B or of C so I had thought that perhaps I could use that but I don't know.
Sure, that works as a counterexample.

ver_mathstats said:

You were asked to "prove or disprove", and your example disproves. That's all there is to it!

Ray Vickson said:
You were asked to "prove or disprove", and your example disproves. That's all there is to it!
Okay thank you.

1. What is the purpose of proving or disproving operations on sets?

The purpose of proving or disproving operations on sets is to ensure the validity and accuracy of mathematical statements involving sets. By proving or disproving operations, we can determine if a given statement or equation involving sets is true or false.

2. How do you prove an operation on sets?

To prove an operation on sets, we must show that the operation holds true for all elements in the sets. This can be done through logical reasoning and mathematical proofs, using properties and definitions of sets and set operations.

3. What is the difference between proving and disproving an operation on sets?

Proving an operation on sets involves showing that the operation holds true for all elements in the sets, while disproving an operation involves finding a counterexample that shows the operation does not hold true for all elements.

4. What are some common operations on sets that are often proved or disproved?

Some common operations on sets that are often proved or disproved include union, intersection, complement, and subset operations. These operations are fundamental to set theory and are used to manipulate and compare sets.

5. Why is it important to prove or disprove operations on sets?

Proving or disproving operations on sets is important because it allows us to verify the accuracy of mathematical statements involving sets. It also helps us to better understand the properties and relationships between different sets, which can be applied in various fields such as computer science, statistics, and economics.