1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Check that a set is closed, and that another is compact

1. May 27, 2014 #1
    I have a problem with this excercise. Ironically I think I can manage the part that is supposed to be hardest, here is the problem:

Let [itex](V,||\cdot||)[/itex], be a normed vector-space.

a), Show that if A is a closed subset of V, and C is a compact subset of V, then [itex]A+C=\{a+c| a \in A, c \in C\}[/itex] is closed.

b) Show that if both A and C are compact then A+C is compact.

I think b was ok,so I tried that first: if we have a sequence from A+C: [itex]\{a_n+c_n\}[/itex], then [itex]\{a_n\}[/itex], has a subsequence converging to a, if we look the original sequence but only the indexes from the subsequence converging to a, then of these indexes of the sequence [itex]\{c_n\}[/itex], must have a subsequence converging to c, and since we then have convergence of a subsequence to a+c, we are done?

I struggle more with a).

I thought that I could show that if ther is a sequence from A+C converging to a point, then this point must be in A+C. So I start with the sequence [itex]\{a_n+c_n\}[/itex], which I assume converges to b, I must show that b is in A+C.
    I get that since C is compact there must be a subsequence so that [itex]\{c_{n_k}\}[/itex], converges to an element c in C. Then using the same indexes [itex]\{a_{n_k}\}[/itex] must converge to b-c. But how do I proceed to show that b is in A+C?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Will the sequence ##(a_{n_k} + c_{n_k})## converge?

4. May 27, 2014 #3
    Yeah, that is a subsequence of the original sequence. And I started with the original sequence converging, and every subsequence of a converging sequence converges.

5. May 27, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you know that ##(a_{n_k})## converges to ##b-c##. What can you conclude from ##A## being closed?

6. May 27, 2014 #5
    Yeah I understand, b-c is in A, so (b-c)+c is in A+C.

Thanks!

7. May 27, 2014 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That's it!

8. May 27, 2014 #7
    Thanks, vector-spaces are a little tricker than metric-spaces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted