Checking if a subset is a subspace

• Thread starter Emspak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, W is a subset of vector space V and is also a subspace. To check this, we need to show that 0 is in the set, it is closed under addition, and it is closed under multiplication. We can write down a basis for this subspace and the result follows from the properties of real numbers. The equation given allows us to write any vector in the form a1(𝒊- 2𝒌)+ a2(𝒋+ 7𝒌).
Emspak

Homework Statement

Let W be a subset of vector space V. Is it s subspace as well?

W = {(a1, a2, a3) [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ3 : 2a1-7a2+a3=0}So, to check if this is a subspace I need to satisfy the following:

1. That 0 is in the set. Plugging (0,0,0) into the equation 2a1-7a2+a3=0 yields 0=0 so yes, it is.

2. That it is closed under addition.

Let (b1, b2, b3) be an arbitrary vector in W.

For this to be closed under addition (b1, b2, b3)+(a1, a2, a3) [itex]\in[/itex] W.

2(a1+b1) - 7(a2+b2) + (a3+b3) = 0

can also be written as (a3+b3) = -2(a1+b1) + 7(a2+b2)

There are real-valued solutions to this, whenever bi = -ai is one, so the answer is yes, it is closed under addition.

3. Is it closed under multiplication?

Any arbitrary λ(2a1-7a2+a3)=(λ)0

So since that's still part of the set, it is closed under multiplication.

So, did I do this one correctly? God I hope so.

Physics news on Phys.org
Emspak said:
So, did I do this one correctly? God I hope so.

Why do you think this might be incorrect? The result seems to follow directly from the properties of real numbers.

Just wanted to heck if I was understanding this correctly.

Yes, you did this correctly. Notice that you can actually write down a basis for the subspace:
you are given [itex]2a_1- 7a_2+ a_3= 0[/itex] so that [itex]a_3= 7a_2- 2a_1[/itex]. That means that any such vector can be written [tex]a_1\vec{i}+ a_2\vec{j}+ a_3\vec{k}= a_1\vec{i}+ a_2\vec{j}+ (7a_2- 2a_1)\vec{k}= a_1(\vec{i}- 2\vec{k})+ a_2(\vec{j}+ 7\vec{k})[/tex].

1. What is a subset and a subspace?

A subset is a set that contains elements from a larger set. A subspace is a subset that also satisfies the requirements for a vector space.

2. How do you check if a subset is a subspace?

To check if a subset is a subspace, you need to verify that it satisfies the three requirements for a vector space: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. Can a subset be a subspace of more than one vector space?

Yes, a subset can be a subspace of multiple vector spaces as long as it satisfies the requirements for a vector space in each one.

4. What happens if a subset does not satisfy the requirements for a vector space?

If a subset does not satisfy the requirements for a vector space, then it is not considered a subspace and cannot be treated as one.

5. Are there any shortcut methods to check if a subset is a subspace?

Yes, there are a few shortcut methods such as checking if the subset contains the zero vector, checking if all scalar multiples of a vector in the subset are also in the subset, or using the subspace criterion theorem.