Checking pH meter calibration HCL >37%

In summary, the conversation involved calibrating a pH meter using buffer solutions and concerns about the probe possibly drying out. The individual wanted to use HCl to check the calibration, but was unsure of the appropriate dilution levels and if the pH meter would detect changes in large volumes of water. Another person suggested using buffer solutions instead for accurate calibration and advised checking the pH meter once a day.
rwooduk
Hi,

I've calibrated our pH meter using 4.01 and 7.01 buffer solution, but I'm not sure if the probe has dried out at some point. So I want to check the calibration, I have some HCl > 37% that I can use. Just a quick question, since pH is on a log scale so I have to make solutions every ten unit?

i.e. 1ml HCl + 100mL DI water
1ml HCL + 1000mL DI water
1ml HCL + 10000mL DI water

For large volumes of water would my pH meter even detect a change? Please could someone suggest a realistic range of diluted HCl values with which to check the calibration is correct or is the above correct?

Thanks for any advice

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can't properly check the calibration with diluted acid, you need buffers for that. Diluted acid pH is very approximate (not to mention the fact it won't work at all at pH 7.00).

Likes rwooduk
Ok thanks again Borek! I think we have more buffer solutions other than those used to calibrate, I will attempt to make use of them

You can't calibrate the pH electrode too often :wink:

Seriously, I suggest checking it once a day. It may turn out the readings are quite stable, but its in no way guaranteed.

Likes epenguin and rwooduk

What is the purpose of checking pH meter calibration with HCL >37%?

The purpose of checking pH meter calibration with HCL >37% is to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the pH meter. HCL >37% is a strong acid with a known pH value, making it a suitable standard for calibrating the meter.

How often should pH meter calibration with HCL >37% be performed?

The frequency of pH meter calibration with HCL >37% depends on the specific pH meter and its usage. However, it is generally recommended to calibrate the meter at least once a month or before each use.

What are the steps for checking pH meter calibration with HCL >37%?

The steps for checking pH meter calibration with HCL >37% may vary slightly depending on the specific pH meter, but generally include: preparing the HCL solution, placing the electrode in the solution, adjusting the meter to the correct pH value, and recording the results for comparison to the expected value.

What are the consequences of not checking pH meter calibration with HCL >37%?

If the pH meter is not calibrated with HCL >37%, it may give inaccurate readings, leading to incorrect conclusions and potentially compromising the validity of the experiment or measurement. This could also result in wasted time, resources, and effort.

Are there any tips for ensuring accurate pH meter calibration with HCL >37%?

To ensure accurate pH meter calibration with HCL >37%, it is important to use fresh and properly prepared HCL solution, properly clean and maintain the electrode, and follow the manufacturer's instructions for calibrating the specific pH meter. It is also recommended to regularly check the calibration and perform adjustments if needed.