Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical bonding, is this book good?

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1
    So I'm having trouble grasping the theories of Chemical bonding and I'm taking Organic Chemistry.

I know it's not realistic that I will truly understand it, but I'd like some grasp of it.

This book is written by Linus Pauling and I know he is a 2-time Nobel Prize winner, but is this book at my level or too advance? It didn't state so I'm not sure.

The Nature of the Chemical Bond and the Structure of Molecules and Crystals; An Introduction to Modern Structural Chemistry.
    http://www.amazon.com/Structure-Int...32/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product/104-2871032-3546315

Is this book too old? Any recommendations on a more up to date book, thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you understand the basic concepts of modern chemistry (moles, symbols, valence and electronegativity) you will know all you need to begin your organic chemistry course. With which theories of chemical bonding are you having trouble? With only a few exceptions (like hydrogen bonding), covalent bonding between carbon and hydrogen, sulfur, nitrogen, oxygen and halogens are all that you will likely discuss.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    What chemisttree said, most universities will expect you to understand the basics of covalent bonding using a valence bond theory method, I.E. one electron from one atom and one from another making a covalent bond which is asymettrically shared between atoms of differant electronegativity.

Reading a chemical bonding book too early maybe intellectually fastinating, but may throw you into learning molecular orbital and Linear combination of atomic orbitals, along with wavefunction additions and other takes on modern day theories, which can be somewhat confusing to grasp in an individual learning situation and its best to let the university slip you into that stuff so your much more confident about learning all the differant takes on these things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?