1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Kinetics: Rate Laws, Orders

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I understand how to determine the order of a rxn based on a series of experiments one divides one into another to obtain a ratio and then determines the power to which one is raised to determine the order.

Typical data collected would be:
    Ex1 [A] .2 mol = Initial rate 4.8 mol/L*s
    Ex2 [A] .4 mol = Initial rate 9.6 mol/L*s

In this case one would divide Ex2/Ex1 and obtain 2 = 2^m ; m=1 a 1st order rxn.

In our book every example has ex2/ex1 or ex4/ex3 but then in the problems in the back it takes what ever pair of experiments give a round number. Often this is obvious, often not and one would have to run a series of ex/ex to obtain an order..

2. Relevant equations

A series I just started working on looked like ex2/ex1 would yield a nice even first order rxn but ended up being a .666 = .444^m; m=.5. The answer key chose a different pair of ex. and gives a m=2 2nd order rxn....

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no attempt as my question is with a series of experiments giving different answers how does one know which answer to go with? Are only whole numbers desired? Why wouldn't any set of 2 experiments yield the same ratio or at least very close, with all things being equal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

I am not sure if I follow. Partially because it is not clear what you mean. What ex is - example? experiment? You can't divide example by example, you can divide reaction speeds.

Please show details of the question you mentioned where answer key selects different pair of "ex".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook