1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Second-order reaction and integrated rate law

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The second-order rate constant for the reaction A+2B --> 2C+D is 0.34 dm3/mol s. What is the concentration of C after 20 s and 15 min if the initial concentrations were [A] = 0.027 mol/dm3 and [ B] = 0.130 mol/dm3

2. Relevant equations
    The integrated rate law for A+2B --> P
    $$k_r t=\frac{1}{[B ]_0-2[A]_0}\ln\frac{[A]_0([B ]_0-2x)}{([A]_0-x)[B ]_0}$$
    with $$x=[P]$$ as it is given in Physical Chemistry by Atkins.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Solving the above equation for x gives
    $$x=\frac{[ B](\exp(k_r t([ B]-2[A]))-1)}{\frac{[ B]}{[A]}\exp(k_r t([ B]-2[A]))-2}.$$
    By inserting the numbers from the problem statement I get x = 0.014485 mol/dm3.
    But I can't really figure out if [C] is just 2/3 *x, since we have 2C and 1D as the products or what the final answer is.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Imagine that the reaction proceeds through an intermediary:
    $$
    \mathrm{A} + 2 \mathrm{B} \rightarrow \mathrm{P} \rightarrow 2 \mathrm{C} + \mathrm{D}
    $$
    with the final step being extremely fast. What would you get then?

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    I'm really not sure what you want me to realize by this. Then
    $$-\frac{d[P]}{dt}= k' [P]^2$$
    but I don't see how this helps me determine the concentration of [C].

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

DrClaude

You calculated (I haven't checked that number) that x = 0.014485 mol/dm3 = [P]. Consider that P instantaneously breaks down into 2C + D, what do you get for [C]?

6. Nov 5, 2014 #5
    Well I have the instantaneous reaction rates
    $$ -\frac{d[P]}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d[C]}{dt}$$
    which gives
    $$k'[P]^2=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d[C]}{dt}\Rightarrow \int_0^t k[P]^2 dt = \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{[C]}d[C]\Rightarrow k[P]^2 t = \frac{[C]}{2}$$
    but if it is instantaneous t --> 0 and the above is just [C]=0, which can't be true.. So I guess this is the wrong way to go..
    Btw I denoted k' since I wasn't sure if it can be set equal to the first k. Should they be equal when P is considered to break down instantaneously?

7. Nov 5, 2014 #6

Borek

Think about just stoichiometry, you are overcomplicating things.

8. Nov 5, 2014 #7
    That was what I tried in the original post. I mean we have P --> 2C+D. So the concentration of C is 2/3 of the original concentration, that is [C]=2/3 * [P]?

9. Nov 5, 2014 #8
    Suppose I told you that, for every mole of P produced, 2 moles of C are formed, and one mole of D is formed. What would you think?

Chet

10. Nov 6, 2014 #9
    Hm okay. So since 1 mol P is proportional to 2 moles C and we go from P to C the conversion factor is 2 mol C / 1 mol P, that is [C] = 2 [P] ?

11. Nov 6, 2014 #10
    That's what the chemical reaction balance equation you wrote says. You didn't need me to tell you this.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted