Chemicals in tigerbalm and pvc figures?

In summary, the camphor may be the active ingredient in Tiger Balm that is known to cause harm to PVC. However, the concentration of camphor in Tiger Balm is low and it is unlikely that it will cause any harm to your collection.
nook
Hi, I'm new here :) I recently moved in with a new roommate who seems to use tigerbalm quite frequently he said its help elevate his allergy but I have some collections of both vintage and new star wars figures and miniatures I'm wondering whether vapour of chemical from Tigerbalm and or grease from his finger cause harm to my figures? (since he sometimes like to browse through my collection) will it effect the pvc itself or could it cause the paint to chipped or discolor the paint?
Thanks I'm really concern but couldn't find much info over google

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Here's some info on what's inside Tiger Balm:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/157063-about-tiger-balm-topical-ointment/

I think the camphor is the ingredient to look at. It was used in making celluloid products but that has been mostly replaced by other plastics.

Here's some history of plasticizers and camphor:

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1224

None of the reference I found say anything about its corrosive effects however some of our chemist mentors here can provide a more definitive answer.

@Borek may be able to help here.

However when in doubt, I'd protect your collection just in case.

Not much more than I can add. Definitely washing hands is something he shouldn't forget, but I doubt concentrations of volatiles in the air can be high enough to be dangerous.

thanks a lot everyone :) so all in all I shouldn't be too worry about this tigerbalm effecting my collection right? since I don't want to confront him about this if its not really harmful to my stuff since I think to him it would probably sound like I'm being nitpicking or something :S also according to wikipedia tigerbalm has these ingredients
Menthol 10% 8% 11%
Dementholised mint oil 6% 16% 6%
Clove bud oil 5% 1.5% 2%
Cassia oil 5% 3%
Camphor 25% 25% 11%
Cajuput oil
methyl salicylate

does any of these are known to cause harm to pvc ?

1. What chemicals are present in tiger balm?

Tiger balm contains active ingredients such as camphor, menthol, and clove oil. It also contains inactive ingredients such as paraffin, eucalyptus oil, and white petrolatum.

2. Are these chemicals safe for use on the skin?

The active ingredients in tiger balm have been deemed safe for use on the skin in small amounts. However, it is important to follow the recommended usage instructions and not to use it on broken or irritated skin.

3. Can tiger balm interact with other medications?

It is possible for tiger balm to interact with certain medications, especially those that are applied to the skin. It is always best to consult with a doctor or pharmacist before using tiger balm if you are taking any other medications.

4. What chemicals are used in making PVC figures?

PVC figures are typically made from a type of plastic called polyvinyl chloride (PVC). This plastic is made from a combination of vinyl chloride monomer and other additives to give it its desired properties.

5. Are PVC figures safe for children to play with?

PVC figures are generally considered safe for children to play with. However, it is important to make sure that the figures are age-appropriate and do not have any small parts that could potentially be a choking hazard.