Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemicals in tigerbalm and pvc figures?

Tags:
  1. Jul 26, 2015 #1
    Hi, I'm new here :) I recently moved in with a new roommate who seems to use tigerbalm quite frequently he said its help elevate his allergy but I have some collections of both vintage and new star wars figures and miniatures I'm wondering whether vapour of chemical from Tigerbalm and or grease from his finger cause harm to my figures? (since he sometimes like to browse through my collection) will it effect the pvc itself or could it cause the paint to chipped or discolor the paint?
    Thanks I'm really concern but couldn't find much info over google

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Here's some info on what's inside Tiger Balm:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/157063-about-tiger-balm-topical-ointment/

I think the camphor is the ingredient to look at. It was used in making celluloid products but that has been mostly replaced by other plastics.

Here's some history of plasticizers and camphor:

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1224

None of the reference I found say anything about its corrosive effects however some of our chemist mentors here can provide a more definitive answer.

@Borek may be able to help here.

However when in doubt, I'd protect your collection just in case.

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not much more than I can add. Definitely washing hands is something he shouldn't forget, but I doubt concentrations of volatiles in the air can be high enough to be dangerous.

5. Jul 26, 2015 #4
    thanks a lot everyone :) so all in all I shouldn't be too worry about this tigerbalm effecting my collection right? since I dont want to confront him about this if its not really harmful to my stuff since I think to him it would probably sound like I'm being nitpicking or something :S also according to wikipedia tigerbalm has these ingredients
    Menthol 10% 8% 11%
    Dementholised mint oil 6% 16% 6%
    Clove bud oil 5% 1.5% 2%
    Cassia oil 5% 3%
    Camphor 25% 25% 11%
    Cajuput oil
    methyl salicylate

does any of these are known to cause harm to pvc ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook