Chemistry - Dissolving Precipitates

• Thread starter Jeann25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the question asks for the net ionic equation and calculation of K for the reaction between CuCl and NaCN. The net ionic equation is CuCl + Na(CN)2- --> Cu(CN)2- + NaCl. The equilibrium equations used to calculate K are CuCl --> Cu+ + Cl- and 2CN- + Cu+ --> [Cu(CN)2]-. It is unclear whether the K value should be 1/Ksp or just Ksp.
Jeann25

Homework Statement

Write an overall net ionic equation and calculate K for the reaction where CuCl (Ksp = 1.9 x 10^-7) is dissolved by NaCN to from [Cu(CN)2]- Kf = 1.0 x 10^16).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The net ionic equation I've come up with is:

CuCl + Na(CN)2- --> Cu(CN)2- + NaCl

The equilibrium equations to figure K that I came with are:

CuCl --> Cu+ + Cl-
2CN- + Cu+ --> [Cu(CN)2]-

Am I on the right track here, or am I completely off? How would I then determine K from this? How do I know when it's 1/Ksp or just Ksp?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeann25 said:
The net ionic equation I've come up with is:

CuCl + Na(CN)2- --> Cu(CN)2- + NaCl

NaCl in net ionic?

I would suggest that you double check your net ionic equation and equilibrium equations to ensure they are balanced and follow the correct stoichiometry. Here is an alternative approach to solving this problem:

First, we can write out the dissociation of CuCl and NaCN in water:

CuCl (s) --> Cu+ (aq) + Cl- (aq)

NaCN (s) --> Na+ (aq) + CN- (aq)

Since we are looking for the formation of [Cu(CN)2]-, we can write out the formation reaction as:

Cu+ (aq) + 2CN- (aq) --> [Cu(CN)2]- (aq)

Now, we can write out the overall net ionic equation by cancelling out the spectator ions (Na+ and Cl-):

CuCl (s) + 2NaCN (s) --> [Cu(CN)2]- (aq) + 2NaCl (aq)

Next, we can set up the equilibrium expression for this reaction:

K = [Cu(CN)2]- / [CuCl][NaCN]^2

Since we are given the Ksp for CuCl and Kf for [Cu(CN)2]-, we can use these to calculate K:

K = Kf / Ksp

K = (1.0 x 10^16) / (1.9 x 10^-7)

K = 5.26 x 10^22

This indicates that the reaction strongly favors the formation of [Cu(CN)2]-, as the value of K is very large. It is important to note that this value of K is for the overall reaction, not just for the formation of [Cu(CN)2]-. Therefore, it is not necessary to determine 1/Ksp or Ksp in this case.

In summary, to determine K for a reaction involving the dissolution of a precipitate, you can use the equilibrium expression and the given Ksp and Kf values for the reactants and products. It is important to double check the stoichiometry of the reaction and ensure that the net ionic equation is balanced.

1. What is the process of dissolving a precipitate?

The process of dissolving a precipitate involves adding a solvent, such as water, to the solid precipitate in order to break down the particles and create a homogenous solution.

2. How does temperature affect the dissolving of a precipitate?

Generally, increasing the temperature of the solvent will speed up the dissolving process as it increases the kinetic energy of the particles and allows them to break away from the solid more easily. However, there are some exceptions where certain substances may become less soluble at higher temperatures.

3. What factors determine the rate of dissolving for a precipitate?

The rate of dissolving is influenced by factors such as the surface area of the precipitate, temperature, concentration of the solvent, and the strength of the intermolecular forces between the particles of the solid and the solvent.

4. Can a precipitate be separated from a solution after it has dissolved?

Yes, a precipitate can be separated from a solution through various methods such as filtration, centrifugation, or evaporating the solvent to leave behind the solid precipitate.

5. How is the solubility of a precipitate determined?

The solubility of a precipitate is determined by conducting a solubility test where the solid is added to various amounts of solvent and the point at which it no longer dissolves is recorded. This value can also be affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the solution.