1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry or Physics for Materials Science

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    yepo

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2009 #2
    I'd say major in one subject, but take a lot of upper levels in BOTH subjects. Even though I was a physics major, I still took many important courses in chemistry... including 2 terms of organic chemistry, and advanced inorganic chemistry (great labs with coordination compounds!). In fact, I would have received a double major if I'd taken two terms of physical chemistry... but the classes didn't fit in my schedule and I thought there would be too much overlap with thermo and quantum (although I bought the text of the P-chem book for reference). You might want to look at what materials science graduate programs suggest for undergraduate applicants to have taken, and tailor your program of study accordingly.

4. Feb 4, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Someone has to ask. Why not major in Materials Science if that's what you want to do?

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4
    I've actually applied (in the UK) to a few universities' to study materials science. Almost all said that you needed either physics or chemistry to get in, and go on to study both while you are there. Studying both would be a good idea I guess.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?