Chemistry: Polar or non-polar? Dipolar moment?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
tsuwal
Messages
105
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Is this molecule polar or non polar? What is its dipolar moment?
MOLECULE.jpg




Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


The molecule has triple symmetry so its dipolar moment is 0. But I think it is polar because the oxygens atract the eletrons much more strongly than carbons.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tsuwal said:
The molecule has triple symmetry so its dipolar moment is 0. But I think it is polar because the oxygens atract the eletrons much more strongly than carbons.

Dipole moment is a vector.
 
yes i know, by 0 i meant null vector. so what's the answer?
 
tsuwal said:
yes i know, by 0 i meant null vector. so what's the answer?

If the net dipole moment is zero, is the molecule polar or non-polar?
 
that's my question, everyone treats dipole moment as a measure of polarity but I think it is possible for a molecule to have 0 dipole moment and be polar as the one in the figure. I think there is a negative pole in each oxygen even though the dipole moment is zero