Chemistry Purity Problems with solutions help

• Thread starter loz123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation involved a student struggling with a problem involving the solubility of CaSO4 in water. The student attempted to solve the problem by finding the moles and mass of CaSO4, but was unsure of how to account for the sample's purity. The correct answer should be 1.0948g, regardless of the sample's purity.
loz123
I have a test tomorrow and I thought I knew how to do these types of problems but my answers are all wrong.

Here is the question:
The solubility of CaSO4 at 25*C is 1.61x10^-2 mol/L. What mass will dissolve in 50.0 mL of water if the sample is only 20.0% pure?

Heres what I did. First I found moles of CaSO4:
n=CV
n=1.61x10^-2 x 0.05L
n=.00805 mol

Then I converted moles of CaSO4 to mass (grams):
m=0.00805mol x 136g/mol
m=1.0948g

Then I did a conversion of 100% pure to 20%:
1.0948g/100 = x/20
(Cross multiply)
100x = 21.896
x = .219g
Which means the sample of CaSO4 that is 20% pure should have a mass of .219g but according to the answers that is incorrect. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can fix it. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, loz123! :smile:

I interpret your problem statement as that you need to find a total mass of which 20% is actually CaSO4.
As it is, 20% of .219 g is not 1.0948 g.

I find this question ambiguous - or intentionally tricky. You will dissolve 1.09g of CaSO4p/sub] in 50 mL of water regardless of the sample purity (unless sample contains other sulfates or other soluble calcium salt - but that's another problem).

1. What are common sources of impurities in chemical substances?

Impurities can come from a variety of sources including the raw materials used to make the substance, the equipment used in the manufacturing process, and even the air and water in the surrounding environment. Sometimes, impurities can also be introduced during storage or handling of the substance.

2. How can I determine the purity of a chemical substance?

There are various methods for determining the purity of a substance, including chromatography, spectroscopy, and titration. These techniques involve separating and analyzing the components of the substance to determine the percentage of impurities present.

3. What are some common techniques for purifying a chemical substance?

Some common techniques for purifying a substance include distillation, recrystallization, and filtration. These methods involve separating the desired substance from impurities through physical or chemical processes.

4. What should I do if I encounter purity problems with a chemical substance?

If you encounter purity problems with a substance, it is important to first identify the source of the impurities. This can help determine the best method for purifying the substance. If you are unsure, it may be helpful to consult with a fellow scientist or refer to scientific literature for guidance.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with impure substances?

Yes, it is important to always take proper safety precautions when working with any chemical substances, including impure ones. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal procedures. It is also important to be aware of the potential hazards associated with impurities, as they may affect the properties and behavior of the substance.