Chemistry textbook for Physicists

In summary, the physicist would like to learn chemistry, but does not have much of a background in the subject. He suggests looking for books that are more physicist-friendly and quantitative in nature.
Korybut
Hello

Being a professional physicist(Quantum field theory and HS theory) I'd like to learn chemistry for some reasons. I've already tried to find a nice Chemistry textbook but failed to find physicist friendly one.

My last class on chemistry was in high school like 11 years ago already, so my chemical background is pretty low unfortunately, but mathematical and physical are both good.

I am interested in General Chemistry with further possible digging into Theoretical Chemistry (if it exists, please excuse my ignorance)

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I retook general chemistry a few years ago and continued on with organic minus the lab (we needed a materials person and our resident chemist was frankly an idiot so as the only materials physicist in the group I took it upon myself to essentially work on a chemistry degree). We used McMurry

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0321943171/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I liked it. I was heading towards more theoretical topics myself in chemistry when I left that company ~3 years ago.

Likes Astronuc
Most any typical General Chemistry book aimed at undergraduates should be fine for you. Some courses from your local community college would be more helpful because of laboratory exercises. Just General Chemistry may be insufficient for your goal, so maybe Quantitative and Inorganic textbooks, would be further materials to study.

A couple of authors of Gen Chem books were, Mortimer; and Petrucci. There may be others.

Hello,
I would suggest skipping the gen chem and looking up physical chemistry texts. A lot of what is included is a more detailed presentation of general chemistry concepts, especially for things like activity coefficients. I brushed up on general chemistry when I taught the labs last year and most of it boils down to a course in how to use algebra to solve problems. The Silberberg text they used was pretty good. I'd go for the Atkins Physical Chemistry though.

1. What is the purpose of a chemistry textbook for physicists?

A chemistry textbook for physicists is designed to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of chemistry that are relevant to the study of physics. It aims to bridge the gap between the two disciplines and help physicists apply chemical knowledge in their research and experiments.

2. Is a chemistry textbook for physicists different from a regular chemistry textbook?

Yes, a chemistry textbook for physicists is tailored specifically to the needs of physicists and may have a different approach and level of depth compared to a regular chemistry textbook. It may also include more advanced topics and examples that are relevant to the field of physics.

3. What topics are typically covered in a chemistry textbook for physicists?

A chemistry textbook for physicists may cover topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum chemistry, and spectroscopy. It may also include applications of chemistry in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biophysics.

4. Who would benefit from using a chemistry textbook for physicists?

A chemistry textbook for physicists would be beneficial for anyone studying or conducting research in the field of physics, particularly those who need a strong understanding of chemistry principles to support their work. It may also be useful for engineers and other professionals who need to apply chemical concepts in their work.

5. Are there any prerequisites for using a chemistry textbook for physicists?

Generally, a basic understanding of chemistry and physics is recommended before using a chemistry textbook for physicists. Some knowledge of calculus and differential equations may also be helpful for understanding more advanced topics. However, the specific prerequisites may vary depending on the textbook and the level of the material.