1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Chemistry textbook for physics majors?

1. Jan 15, 2016 #1
    I've only had a single semester of general chemistry but am in my third year of physics and will be taking general chemistry II this upcoming semester.

In addition to the assigned text (Chemistry: A Molecular Approach, Tro) what I'm wondering is whether there are any textbooks that treat the ideas of chemistry as results obtained from physics at a difficulty level appropriate for someone who's had junior and senior level physics courses. Basically something that presents chemistry as an extension of physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2016 #2

462chevelle

Gold Member

That is the book I used for general chemistry, if you want a physics type treatment you should hit up a physical chemistry book.
    If you want a more in depth math approach to the acid base type stuff an analytical chemistry book would work. Although I don't know how far you would get without mastering it at a gen chem level. I loved kinetics, thermo, and intermolecular forces, I hated acid base/equilibrium problems.

4. Jan 17, 2016 #3
    Either "Principles of Modern Chemistry" by Oxtoby or "Chemical Principles" by Atkins will be a great textbook that serves your need. Both books are physical-chemistry-oriented gen.chem. books that are heavy on both physics and mathematics.

5. Jan 23, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why over think it.... take it for what it is, a freshman course and have a course where you can most likely get an easy A without too much work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted