• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Chennai Mathematical Institute(India) entrance exam

• Thread starter deechan
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What is the difficulty level of the CMI entrance exam?Is it tougher than IIT JEE?I am in std. 11 and I want to take up BSc Physics at UG level.Can one get through the exam by having a grip over the basic concepts of physics or does it require rigorous preparation like the IIT JEE(joining coaching centres that turn students into problem solving machines but don't impart any real knowledge)?Besides CMI are there any other colleges that offer UG physics courses with an emphasis on theoritical physics?

Answers and Replies

I can't compare it with IIT JEE, but surely you can't ace it with just 11st & 12th standard level physics. Buy those books, Advanced Level Physics by Michael Nelkon and Philip Parker, Fundamentals of Physics by D. Halliday, R. Resnick and J.Walker, 3000 Solved Problems in Physics (Schaum’s Solved Problems Series) by Alvin Halpern & Problems in General Physics by I. E. Irodov and start preparing asap.

You might want to look at this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=457141. Good luck.

Thankyou.

Please help.

I have applied to CMI for B.Sc Physics and will be appearing for the entrance exam this summer. I saw that it is a Math-only examination. It would be very helpful if anyone can tell me

1. The approx. number of students appearing for the exam and approx. student intake.
2. The toughness of the exam.

Sorry man. cmi chennai Entrance paper is full of Mathematics questions there is no space for Physics.[contact them through email/Web. they will give you the required syllabus].
you can also download old papers from cmi web, have a look on them.

P.S. IISc is more Research oriented than cmi in India and IISc takes admission through JEE & KVPY.