Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Cherry Juice May Cut Muscle Pain

1. Jun 23, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Students Who Drank the Juice Showed Less Pain and Loss of Strength After Exercise

By Miranda Hitti
    WebMD Medical News
    Well chocolate, or rather certain ingredients in chocolate, is supposed to help one's muscles to recover from exercise, particuarly from weight-training and muscle straining. Hmmm, it would seem MacRobertson's Cherry Ripes should do that too! :tongue2: :tongue: :approve:

I bet the price of cherries will go up now. :yuck:

Now I have an excuse to plant cherry trees.:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2006 #2
    14 seems like a very small group to test. But sense I love cherry's I'd give it 2 thumbs up!

4. Jun 23, 2006 #3

Astronuc

It can't hurt. :rofl:

I try to drink cranberry juice periodically, but I need to do it more often. I once had bladder infection and drinking cranberry juice kept it in check until I could see a doctor. I managed to hit a temp of 105°F and was delirious (not to mention sweating profusely) - pretty amazing hallucinations (vivid but wild dreams) - in fact, the only time I have ever hallucinated. :tongue:

The cranberry juice saved me from kidney damage.

5. Jun 23, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting. Unfortunately, we don't have a subscription to the journal that was published in, so I can't read the article for myself. I was wondering if the placebo was calorically matched with the juice mixture. I'm guessing that's why the cherry juice was mixed with apple juice, so that they could make the placebo matched in calories with just more apple juice plus the cherry flavoring, but I'd like to confirm that. Or...wouldn't it be funny to find out instead that artificial cherry flavoring is bad for your muscles? Never dismiss the alternative hypothesis too quickly. :biggrin:

6. Jun 23, 2006 #5

Astronuc

Why not just eat fresh cherries in heavy cream :tongue2: :tongue2: or with vanilla ice cream. :tongue2:

What is the deal with making juice out of everything anyway? :rolleyes:

7. Jun 23, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cherries are very good soaked in vodka too, and then used as a topping for ice cream. :approve:

8. Jun 23, 2006 #7

Evo

Isn't the recent juice fad bad? You remove all the healthy pulp and fiber from the fruits and vegetables. Eating the real thing is MUCH healthier than drinking the juice. Oh, but then all these companies that make millions of dollars off of juicers would go out of business. :rolleyes:

9. Jun 23, 2006 #8
    I like cherries.

I like watermelon.

At school, we have watermelon ice cream. It is frozen watermelon on a stick. You have to spit the seeds out as you eat it. Watermelon juice is good.

10. Jun 23, 2006 #9

Astronuc

Yeah. Drinking just the juice is stupid. Believing that juice by itself is better is just . . . . :rolleyes:

11. Jun 23, 2006 #10
    [​IMG]

Now that's a watermelon.

12. Jun 23, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, that's gorgeous! I'll bet it was still left at the end of the picnic though. :rolleyes: Every time I've made a dish that was "pretty," it would be left untouched because people wouldn't want to ruin it to take a serving. I made gingerbread houses one year and only one friend was brave enough to finally smash it all at once so the kids would stop thinking it was a decoration and start eating it.

The juice was made with about 50 cherries according to the article. If you ate that many whole cherries, well, you'd never make it to the workout because you'd spend the whole day in the bathroom. :rofl: I don't know if you need to consume that high of a dose of whatever is in cherry juice to have the beneficial effect for exercise. I agree, I'd rather eat the whole fruit than get just the sugar in the juice. I really don't like all those juice blends...apple kiwi strawberry grape, or orange cranberry passion fruit, or whatever other odd combinations they just toss together. Just eat a fruit salad! They're still mostly sugar in those juices.

13. Jun 23, 2006 #12
    Hmmmm. I know that I can eat a bag full of cherries. That should amount to about 30-40 of them. I like cherries.

Oh yea, I do have a 6 pack of Sam Adam cherry wheat Beer. Just what the doctor ordered. :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2006
  14. Jun 23, 2006 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I brought that to a bbq and was told it's a "girly beer." :rofl: (I told them fine, more for me.) Sounds like a good way to me to get your daily cherry dose. :approve:

15. Oct 4, 2007 #14
    My usual post workout meal is two chicken breasts, one banana, a serving of rasberries and a glass of milk.

16. Oct 4, 2007 #15

Astronuc

Right after a workout, I don't feel like eating, but I'll drink about 24 oz of Gatorade or a milk shake with Myoplex and few scoops of ice cream. If I had a Jamba Juice nearby, I'd go and get a smoothie. Sometimes, I'll just eat of couple of oranges.

We tend to eat a lot of chicken, some pork and fish, and mostly vegetables, and fresh fruit, and whole grain breads.

17. Oct 4, 2007 #16

radou

Homework Helper

Same here, only chicken is replaced with tuna.

18. Oct 4, 2007 #17

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't eat or drink (or drink too much) before a workout. Does anyone? I am talking about short (< 1 hour) workouts, not a day-long activity.

19. Oct 4, 2007 #18
    When I say post workout, it's usually 45min after actual workout. I'm in the process of bulking so I need to eat after a workout or I'll lose weight :)

20. Oct 4, 2007 #19

Astronuc

Bulking up? So one is gaining or at least maintaining mass?

21. Oct 4, 2007 #20
    Bulking is the nondescriminative gain of weight with lifting. Not worrying about fat until I hit a desired weight and then you cut/chisel. Which is burning the fat by diet and cardio to get chisel definition. So I want to throw all food in my mouth all the time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?