1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CHI square independent test (small expected frequency)

1. Oct 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the expected frequency for the age of (21-30, 31-36, more than or equal to 37) for operation is less than 5 , so combination of these numbers are required for the expected frequency to be more than or equal to 5 .
    my question is which numbers should i combine?

would my ans be different?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    in the solution, i combine the (21-30, 31-36, more than or equal to 37) for normal birth to get my Observed frequency = 34 and expected frequency = 38.37......

for operation, combine the (21-30, 31-36, more than or equal to 37) for normal birth to get my Observed frequency = 12 and expected frequency = 7.57......

can i combine less than( 21 and 21-30 ) , (31-36 , more than 37) ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2014 #2
    This may be a solution to your problem.

I'm not sure if this was your plan. I would think if you combine the the rows 21-30 and 31-36, or 31-36 and 37+, then that'd fix the problem.

For your second question, why don't you just compute both and see if one contradicts the decision of the other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted