1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics Chi Square test of normally distributed data

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following data is hypothesized to possess a normal distribution, is that hypothesis sustained by a Chi-square test at .05 significance:

<66........4
    67-68....24
    68-70....35
    70-72....15
    72-74......8
    >74........4

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I know that I should calculate the expected values for each bin for a normally distributed data set using the equation f(x)=2.66*e^-[(x-μ)^2/(2σ^2)] To do this, I'lll need to calculate μ and s from the data using estimators.

2. Then I can simply plug those values into the Chi Squared equation and see if the resulting value is less than the X^2 value from the table. (I will have to make sure np > 5 for all bins, and subtract 2 from the number of final bins to get the degrees of freedom).

My question is, how do is use estimators when the data is continuously distributed in bins as it is in the problem? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would try to minimize that Chi-squared value in a fit to get mean and standard deviation (and Chi2) at the same time.

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You calculate the bin probabilities in the usual way: ##P\{ a < X < b\} = P\{ (a - \mu)/\sigma < Z < (b - \mu)/\sigma\}##, where ##Z## is a standard normal random variable (mean= 0, variance = 1). You need to use normal tables or a computer package, or something similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted