Child bouncing on pogo stick-harmonic motion

• Thread starter pb23me
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation was about estimating the stiffness of a spring in a child's pogo stick based on the child's mass and bouncing frequency. The equations for harmonic motion were discussed, and it was determined that the acceleration is never constant in simple harmonic motion. The angular speed formula for springs was mentioned as a potential solution, and it was ultimately derived as \omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}. The general equation for shm, a=-\omega^2x, was also mentioned.
pb23me

Homework Statement

Estimate the stiffness of a spring in a childs pogo stickif the child has a mass of 35kg and bounces every 2 sec.

Homework Equations

x=Asin(wt)
w=2(pi)f
w=2pi/T
F=mg-kx=ma
U=1/2kx2
E=1/2mv2+1/2kx2

The Attempt at a Solution

The equations that are listed are the only-harmonic motion- equations that I am allowed to use. This problem seems much more complicated to me than it appears.Am i supposed to use kinematics equations first, then subtract the time the child is in the air from the two seconds? Also the child is going to be in contact with the ground for some specified period of time while the spring is contracting, and rebounding. If i just think about it as simple harmonic motion then the period is 2 seconds. Then w=2pi/2 or w=pi then i looked at the sin graph and noted that at pi/2 v=0 so if v=0 at pi/2 then v=Awcos(wt) t=1 ... so at pi/2 on the sin graph the graph is at max height so i figured that the pogo stick was in the air so acceleration=9.8m/s2 then i solved for A using the equation a=-Aw2sin(wt) and got A=.993m...am i doing this correct? Isnt there a better way of doing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In simple harmonic motion, the acceleration is never constant. So you can never use the kinematics equation which only applies when the acceleration is constant.

The stiffness of the spring is k.

A is the amplitude of the oscillation and the way you are using the equation is totally wrong.

What you need to do is either remember what is the angular speed formula for springs or derive it from first principles.

i thought it was w=2(pi)f and w=2pi/T?

oh ok i just used F=-kx=ma so -k[Asin(wt)]=m[-Aw2sin(wt)]
so k=-345kg/s2

yes, [itex]\omega=\frac{2\pi}{T}[/itex], but there is a formula for the angular speed of a spring in shm.

For example, for a pendulum oscillating in small angles,

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{g}{l}}[/tex]

you need to find a similar expression for omega for springs.

pb23me said:
oh ok i just used F=-kx=ma so -k[Asin(wt)]=m[-Aw2sin(wt)]
so k=-345kg/s2

Yes, correct. It would have been simpler if you realize that for springs,

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

could i have derived that with the equations that i listed??

You need one more equation. The general equation for shm!

And jus what exactly is this equation that you speak of...

[tex]a=-\omega^2x[/tex]

This is the defining equation for shm.

thanx:grumpy:

1. How does a pogo stick work?

A pogo stick is a type of toy that utilizes the principles of harmonic motion to allow a child to bounce up and down. The stick has a metal or rubber spring at the bottom that compresses when weight is applied, and then expands to push the child upwards. The motion of the spring creates a back-and-forth oscillation that allows for continuous bouncing.

2. Is bouncing on a pogo stick safe for children?

While pogo sticks can be a fun activity for children, it is important to always supervise them and make sure they are using the toy properly. Children should also wear appropriate safety gear, such as a helmet and knee pads, to prevent injuries from falls.

3. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. In simpler terms, it is the back-and-forth movement of an object in a regular and predictable pattern, such as the bouncing of a pogo stick.

4. How can bouncing on a pogo stick benefit a child?

Bouncing on a pogo stick can provide a fun and engaging form of physical activity for children. It can improve their balance, coordination, and overall strength. It can also be a great way for children to release excess energy and improve their mood.

5. Are there any variations of the pogo stick?

Yes, there are different types of pogo sticks available. Some have adjustable springs to accommodate different weights and heights, while others may have additional features such as a counter to track the number of bounces. There are also pogo sticks designed for more extreme bouncing and stunts for older children and adults.