Children's Slide, given slide length and angle, solve speed at bottom

In summary, the problem involves a child sliding down a 20 ft slide at a 30° angle with a coefficient of sliding friction of 0.05. The child starts from rest at the top, and the question is asking for the speed at the bottom. The problem can be solved using work-energy principles, and the mass can be kept as a symbolic variable. The solution involves finding the change in potential energy and kinetic energy, and setting them equal to 0 to solve for the final velocity, which comes out to be 7.7 m/s.
speedtriple

Homework Statement

Hi guys! Here is my problem:

A Children's slide is 20 ft long and makes an angle 30° with the horizontal. If the coefficient of sliding friction is 0.05 and the child starts from rest at the top, with what speed does he reach the bottom?

I want to say it is about potential energy? or is it about the work of nonconservative forces? I appreciate any input! thank you!

Homework Equations

noncoservative Work = Change in K + Change in U

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This can be solved in more than one way. But using the work-energy principles is probably easiest.

As in the Net work is equal to change in kinetic Energy? I understand using that but what throws me off is that there is no mass to use it with the equation. I'm thinking it is just kept as the variable?

Keep the mass as a symbolic variable m. If the problem is posed correctly, it will disappear from equations at some point.

SO how I see it, is It is a 30-60-90 triangle with gravity acting on the Child on top of the slide. Since it asks what is at the bottom, the height is 0ft or the velocity initially is 0 which makes the equations I use become zero. I'm sorry if this is really wrong but I'm getting really confused here..

Potential energy at the top? At the bottom?
Kinetic energy at the top? At the bottom?
Are the any non-conservative forces involved? What is their work?

Well when I get the potential energy at the top, I use Ug=mgy. So Ug= (m)(9.8)(10). I got 10 since the ladder is 20 ft long and the incline is 30 degree which makes the initial heigh 10. The kinetic energy at the top would be 0 since he's not moving? So how do I get the change in kinetic energy if I am subtracting K1 from k2? The non conservative forces friction which relates to the work being done on the object but I am not sure how I'm going to solve for work without mass to get the force with the displacement. Is this problem really solvable or maybe it needs as mass to be solved?

speedtriple said:
Well when I get the potential energy at the top, I use Ug=mgy. So Ug= (m)(9.8)(10). I got 10 since the ladder is 20 ft long and the incline is 30 degree which makes the initial heigh 10.

The general approach is correct in the above. However, can you really mix 9.8, which is meters per seconds squared, with 10, which is feet?

The non conservative forces friction which relates to the work being done on the object but I am not sure how I'm going to solve for work without mass to get the force with the displacement.

Just like with the potential energy above, use 'm' for mass.

Note you have only answered two of my questions, and even those not entirely.

AHA! sneaky sneaky tips..

So I found the change in gravitational potential energy = -(m)29.8704
and the change in Kinetic Energy = .5(m)Vfinal^2

I'm looking at my notes and it seems there is this equation for the conservation of Mechanical Energy

change in Kinetic + Change in Potential = 0

I plugged in the change in Ug and Change in K and set them equal to 0

You're Right! The m canceled out and then I solved for Vfinal via algebra! Equals 7.7 m/s?

oh lordy I hope this is right!

Last edited:

1. How does the length of the slide affect the speed at the bottom?

As the length of the slide increases, the speed at the bottom will also increase. This is because a longer slide allows for a longer distance for the child to gain momentum and reach a higher speed.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the slide and the speed at the bottom?

The angle of the slide plays a significant role in determining the speed at the bottom. A steeper angle will result in a faster speed, as the child will have a greater downward force due to gravity.

3. Can the speed at the bottom be calculated using the slide length and angle alone?

Yes, the speed at the bottom can be calculated using the slide length and angle. This can be done using the formula v = √(2g(sinθ)(L)), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, θ is the angle of the slide, and L is the length of the slide.

4. How does the weight of the child affect the speed at the bottom of the slide?

The weight of the child does not have a direct impact on the speed at the bottom of the slide. However, a heavier child may experience a slightly faster speed due to their increased gravitational force.

5. Is there a maximum speed that a child can reach at the bottom of the slide?

The maximum speed a child can reach at the bottom of the slide depends on various factors such as the slide length, angle, and the weight of the child. However, in most cases, the maximum speed will be limited by the friction between the child and the slide, as well as air resistance.