Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chiral symmetry and quark condensate

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    I'm studying chiral symmetry in QCD. I understand that in order for a spontaneous symmetry breaking to occur, there must be some state with a vacuum expectation value different from zero. My question is: can someone prove that is the chiral symmetry is an exact symmetry of the QCD then necessarily:

$$\langle 0 | \bar{\psi}\psi |0\rangle = 0$$

In understand that this has to be derived from the invariance of the vacuum but I can't prove it explicitely.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's actually easy to see that [itex]\langle 0 | \bar{\psi}\psi |0\rangle[/itex] is not invariant under chiral symmetry. For QCD with one flavor,

[tex]\psi = \begin{pmatrix} u \\ d \end{pmatrix},[/tex]

where we can consider the up and down quarks [itex]u,d[/itex] as Dirac spinors. Then we can write the chiral symmetry as

[tex]\psi \rightarrow \exp\left[i\gamma^5 \left( \vec{\theta}\cdot\vec{\tau}\right) \right] \psi,[/tex]

where the [itex]\vec{\tau}[/itex] are the generators of [itex]SU(2)[/itex] flavor transformations.

Some algebra will show that the kinetic term [itex] \bar{\psi} \gamma^\mu\partial_\mu \psi[/itex] is chiral invariant, but [itex] \bar{\psi} \psi[/itex] is not, because the [itex]\gamma^5[/itex] in the chiral transformation anticommutes with the factor of [itex]\gamma^0[/itex] in the Dirac conjugate.

4. Dec 12, 2012 #3
    Ok, I knew that. Actually my question was a little bit different (or maybe it's the same thing but I can't see it :tongue2:). I was asking: IF the theory is invariant under chiral symmetry (i.e. the vacuum state is invariant) how can I show that necessarily [itex]\langle \bar{\psi}\psi\rangle=0[/itex]??

5. Dec 12, 2012 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Zero is the only value that is invariant under the chiral symmetry. You can be as explicit as you like by picking a one-parameter transformation and using the [itex]u,d[/itex] parameterization. Show that, if [itex]\rho = \langle \bar{\psi}\psi\rangle_0[/itex], then [itex]\delta\rho \neq 0[/itex] unless [itex]\rho =0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook