1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a School for Engineering

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, what's up. I live in Canada and am currently in highschool. However, next year I believe I will be going to university for engineering. I am interested in civil, however, I'm not sure if I should rush off right to Waterloo without taking a year of general first year engineering first. That's my problem. Instead of going right to Waterloo, I could go to McMaster, and do a common first year with every engineering student. In terms of distance from my home, Waterloo is 1 and 1/2 hours, and McMaster is 2 hours away.

Thanks for any guidance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2008 #2
    You could also go to UofT and enter their TrackOne program, which is a general 1st year engineering thing. Although taking this route you would miss out on UW's awesome co-op program! But Waterloo is known more for computers/math/electrical than it is for civil/mechanical, my impression is that UofT is better in that area.
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    You could go to Waterloo or McMaster but you should also look at the other Ontario Universities. In terms of quality some of the smaller universities have good reputation that involve a lot of hands on R and D style projects in the upper years. Carleton has a fourth year project system in which students from the various schools of engineering design and model some rather neat stuff like a UAV and FormulaSAE car. Look for a school that will give you experience as well as theoretical knowledge.

Also come on civil try something cool like Aero. Just kidding got a little bit of bias towards Aero.
  5. Nov 5, 2008 #4
    "However, I'm not sure if I should rush off right to Waterloo without taking a year of general first year engineering first. That's my problem."

Are you sure you want to be in civil? Heres the thing. If you are, why would u want to take a year of general engineering? Civil at waterloo specializes you right away and gets you ready for your first co-op. I have many friends in civil and i myself am in mech and we're all doing great. I'm 19 and I'm earning 12k in my 4month co-op term. My friend in civil is working on his 2nd co-op term in Boston and is having a great time. Tell me any other university that could offer you an experience like that.

It is true that Waterloo is more well known for its comp/EE engineering, but UT's reputation is no more than its grad work. I'm working with 2 UT co-ops at my work, both finished their 3rd year and neither of them quite frankly I feel, work professionally at all.

And yes, waterloo will offer all the student teams other schools will offer if not more but as a civil i'm not sure what projects you could work on (they are mostly projects for Mech, systems, EE, etc..) Regardless, u wont ahv to wait till 4th year like carleton, teams readliy recruit 1st years.

Yes, I seem biased, but everything I've said here is the truth.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?