Milwaukee School of Engineering vs New Mexico Tech

In summary, a high school student is considering attending either New Mexico Tech or MSOE for their studies in electrical and mineral engineering. They are from Arizona and are torn between the two schools. Pros of New Mexico Tech include nicer weather, proximity to home, and opportunities for outdoor activities. However, the small town location is a potential con. In comparison, MSOE offers a big city atmosphere and more organizations, but the cold weather and distance from home are potential drawbacks. Both schools have a similar cost. One student highly recommends New Mexico Tech for its beautiful campus, affordable application fee, and potential for generous scholarships. They also mention the school's strong programs in astrophysics, geophysics, and atmospheric physics. The other student, who
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
I am a senior in high school and I am torn between these two schools. I have been accepted to 8 schools, but these are the 2 that I would like to attend. I would like to major in electrical engineering and possibly minor in mineral engineering. I am from Arizona, so New Mexico Tech would be a lot closer to me. On the other hand, it is located in a small town, rather than a big city like MSOE is. Also, the weather in New Mexico is a lot nicer than it is in Wisconsin.

Basically, here are the pros and cons of each school:

New Mexico Tech:

Pros: Nicer Weather, Closer to Home, Has Mining Engineering

Cons: Size of the Town

MSOE:

Pros: Big City, More Organizations

Cons: Cold Weather, Farther Away from Home

Assuming the price is the same, where would you guys pick to go and why? If anyone has attended either of these schools let me know how you liked it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
New Mexico Tech is an amazing school! Yes the school is located in the middle of nowhere but I like that part of the school. Not as many activities to distract you, and if you like the outdoors this school is absolutely amazing for this. A large and accepting rock climbing club, and so many other activities. As for the education you will receive, I believe it will be absolutely funominal, they have tons of labs and research going on, especially for an undergraduate. I can not comment about the other school, but I do know this, NMT is absolutely dirt cheap

Is the town of Socorro boring, or is there always something to do even though it's a small town. Also, are there a lot of different organizations on campus to keep you busy?

From what I know, the town Socorro is not all that exciting, but yes, the school makes up for it with PLENTY of activities and organizations on campus and off.

Likes 1 person
New Mexico Tech seems like an awesome school, thanks for posting this! I'm thinking of applying!

I live in WI. Milwaukee is a nice city. MSOE campus is downtown. They just recently built a new soccer stadium. MSOE is well known and respected in the region.

NextElement said:
New Mexico Tech seems like an awesome school, thanks for posting this! I'm thinking of applying!

Do it, NextElement! I have seen the campus and it is absolutely beautiful. It is right next to the mountains so the view is incredible. The application fee is only $15, too. I was even invited to apply for free!

How are their scholarships? I'm out of state so I'd need some cash, 3.83 GPA/29 ACT

Are you going to be a transfer student of High school student? With those stats, I wouldn't be surprised if you got full tuition coverage. Probably more.

High school student! Wow, full tuition?! That's crazy... I'll definitely apply now!

This university is one of the most generous I have ever heard of. If you qualify under financial need as well (not only grades but that your parents don't make much money) you will get even more from the government and the school. I go to a community college in California and actually make 6k a year and have full tuition just because I my Parents are poor...now I live pretty comfortable. Next year I will get around 10k a year...no joke, it is crazy. If you got anything though it would have to apply to a dorm room.

Also, I am not sure what major you are interested in, but their Astrophysics, geophysics and atmospheric physics programs are absolutely amazing.

Related to Milwaukee School of Engineering vs New Mexico Tech

1. What are the main differences between the Milwaukee School of Engineering and New Mexico Tech?

The main differences between these two schools are their location and focus. Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE) is located in Wisconsin and has a strong focus on engineering and business programs. New Mexico Tech, on the other hand, is located in New Mexico and has a focus on science, technology, and engineering programs.

2. Which school has a better reputation for their engineering programs?

Both schools have excellent reputations for their engineering programs. MSOE is known for its hands-on approach to learning and small class sizes, while New Mexico Tech is known for its strong research opportunities and technical education.

3. Are there any notable differences in the student body demographics between these two schools?

Yes, there are some notable differences in the student body demographics between MSOE and New Mexico Tech. MSOE has a higher percentage of male students, while New Mexico Tech has a higher percentage of female students. Additionally, MSOE has a higher percentage of students from Wisconsin and surrounding states, while New Mexico Tech has a more diverse student population from all over the country.

4. Is one of these schools more affordable than the other?

The cost of attending these two schools may vary depending on individual financial aid and scholarship opportunities. However, in general, MSOE tends to have a higher tuition cost compared to New Mexico Tech. It's important to consider not only the tuition cost, but also the cost of living and other expenses when comparing affordability.

5. Which school has a stronger alumni network?

Both MSOE and New Mexico Tech have active alumni networks that offer opportunities for networking, mentorship, and career support. It's difficult to say which school has a stronger alumni network, as it ultimately depends on individual experiences and connections. However, MSOE has a larger total number of alumni compared to New Mexico Tech, which may provide more opportunities for networking and connections.