Want to go back to school for engineering at age 32

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and possibilities of going back to school for an engineering degree, especially in the aerospace field. The speakers share their personal experiences and encourage the original poster to pursue their interests and take advantage of their employer's support for education. The conversation also touches on the difference in discipline and study habits between going to school immediately after high school and returning to school later in life with work experience. Overall, the speakers believe that it is never too late to pursue education and that it can greatly benefit both one's career and personal growth.
Kiyo15
Hello everybody,
I'm new here and this is my first thread. Just wanted some feedback on my situation. I want to go back to school because I feel I have peaked out and I'm not pushing myself to see my full potential. I have always loved math and science. I want to go back for engineering and I guess my initial thought is I'm I to old to make this move? I work for boeing so they pay for my school. It would be for a bachelor's degree. I want to stay in the aerospace field. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should absolutely do it if the company will be paying for you to study.

Likes Kiyo15
Well, I've known people who went to school started careers, got dissatisfied and then went back to school again for an engineering degree. It's good that your employer is helping to pick up the tab for your education. You didn't say what your current job is or whether you have any previous college experience.

Likes Kiyo15
I test aircraft systems at boeing and I'm finishing up my AAST that will set me up for engineering at a community college. SteamKing

In the UK it is quite normal for people in the 25-35 age group to go to University after working several years in industry .

Often these are people who have followed the apprenticeship/ONC/HNC route to technician qualifications and want to go the final step to a degree .

Some do higher degrees as well .

People with substantial industrial experience before getting their degree can often have their pick of higher degree courses later on . Places like Cranfield College of Aeronautics actually used to head hunt applicants for higher degree courses at RR .

For what it's worth, I'm 29 with a year left in my undergrad ME curriculum. I have full intentions of going for my Master's in aerospace. I originally started college immediately after high school at which point I dropped out and returned in my late 20's. A few things I will note:

There is a drastic difference in discipline/time management.
The experience in industry allowed me to visualize concepts that would otherwise be difficult for one with no experience.
I genuinely appreciate the curriculum and coursework as opposed to having the, "when will I ever need this crap" attitude.

The list goes on...

However, I will say that I had a more difficult time, particularly in the beginning, with retaining information. This may or may not be from being out of school for nearly 10 years. My study habits were/are great, but it just seems more difficult to remember the small details as opposed to the fundamentals - and the small details are what KILLED me in some of my early engineering courses (mainly mechanics courses like statics, strength of materials, etc.)

If you are even remotely intrigued with engineering, go for it. Going back to school was one of the best decisions I've made thus far. Aside from the career opportunities it has created (including my current employment), it has helped shape me into a more well-rounded individual. The engineering curriculum has completely retrained the way I approach problems, visualize them and execute - in both a mechanical sense as well as life in general. Best of luck with your decision.

Likes CalcNerd
boostedda said:
For what it's worth, I'm 29 with a year left in my undergrad ME curriculum. I have full intentions of going for my Master's in aerospace. I originally started college immediately after high school at which point I dropped out and returned in my late 20's. A few things I will note:

There is a drastic difference in discipline/time management.
The experience in industry allowed me to visualize concepts that would otherwise be difficult for one with no experience.
I genuinely appreciate the curriculum and coursework as opposed to having the, "when will I ever need this crap" attitude.

The list goes on...

However, I will say that I had a more difficult time, particularly in the beginning, with retaining information. This may or may not be from being out of school for nearly 10 years. My study habits were/are great, but it just seems more difficult to remember the small details as opposed to the fundamentals - and the small details are what KILLED me in some of my early engineering courses (mainly mechanics courses like statics, strength of materials, etc.)

If you are even remotely intrigued with engineering, go for it. Going back to school was one of the best decisions I've made thus far. Aside from the career opportunities it has created (including my current employment), it has helped shape me into a more well-rounded individual. The engineering curriculum has completely retrained the way I approach problems, visualize them and execute - in both a mechanical sense as well as life in general. Best of luck with your decision.
Awesome man, thanks. My attitude towards school has definitely change since I have experience compared to when I was a lot younger.

1. Can I still be successful as an engineering student at age 32?

Yes, age is not a determining factor in your success as an engineering student. As long as you are dedicated and willing to put in the effort, you can excel in your studies and have a successful career in engineering.

2. Will my age be a disadvantage when competing for jobs with younger graduates?

No, your age will not be a disadvantage when competing for jobs. Employers value experience and maturity, which you may have gained through your previous work and life experiences. Your age can actually be an advantage in some cases.

3. How long will it take to complete an engineering degree at age 32?

The length of time it takes to complete an engineering degree will depend on several factors such as your chosen program, course load, and any transfer credits you may have. However, on average, it can take 4-5 years to complete a bachelor's degree in engineering.

4. Will I be able to balance school with my other responsibilities, such as work and family?

It may be challenging, but it is possible to balance school with other responsibilities. Many universities offer flexible schedules, online courses, and part-time options for working adults. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to achieve a balance.

5. Is it too late to switch to engineering at age 32?

No, it is never too late to pursue your interests and passions. Switching to engineering at age 32 is a feasible option, and there are many successful individuals who have done the same. It is important to research and plan your path to ensure a smooth transition.