Choosing to self study higher maths

In summary, the individual has completed Calculus 1 and 2 on their own, but struggled due to a lack of guidance and a poor textbook. They are now looking for recommendations on textbooks for Linear Algebra and Multivariable Calculus. They have decided to purchase "Introduction to Linear Algebra, Fifth Edition by Gilbert Strang" for Linear Algebra, but are unsure about which book to get for Multivariable Calculus. They are considering "Multivariable Calculus, Tenth Edition by Ron Larson and Bruce H. Edwards" but are open to other recommendations. They also mention issues with previous sources not using the metric system and not covering all topics on exams. They are hoping these new books will be more meticulous.
Ethan Singer
I've recently completed Calc 1 and 2 on my own, with little guidance outside (which I feel hurt my final exam scores), but I attribute this primarily to the lack of a good textbook. I decided to hold off on Linear Algebra and Multivariable until I've graduated, and now that I have I'm looking to advice on which book I should get for each.

For Linear Algebra, I've decided to purchase, "Introduction to Linear Algebra, Fifth Edition by Gilbert Strang", which seems like a fantastic guide to the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980232775/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But I'm uncertain about which one I should get for multivariable... I'm considering purchasing "Multivariable Calculus, Tenth Edition by Ron Larson and Bruce H. Edwards"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1285060296/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Are these wise choices? I want to ensure that I get my money's worth when purchasing these textbooks. When I self studied calculus, the sources I used had many issues... while they explained certain topics very well, they didn't use the metric system, which made conversions very difficult. Compounding this, they didn't teach everything that was on the finals. For instance it taught Taylor and Maclauren series, but never mentioned finding the area between two polar curves.

So I'm hoping that these books will be far more meticulous, and if not what do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook are the class tests based on and what parts will the class cover? That should be your first consideration. Beyond that, I have always liked the Schaum's Outline series for self study. They are relatively cheap and have a great number of worked examples and exercises with answers.

thnxx for tht suggestion...!

A commonly recommended and free online source is here: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu

It looks at first like purely just (an excellent) website about math but if you go to the downloads section, you can download several large books that contain all the material on the site along with practice problems and answers.

Ethan Singer said:
I've recently completed Calc 1 and 2 on my own, with little guidance outside (which I feel hurt my final exam scores), but I attribute this primarily to the lack of a good textbook. I decided to hold off on Linear Algebra and Multivariable until I've graduated, and now that I have I'm looking to advice on which book I should get for each.

For Linear Algebra, I've decided to purchase, "Introduction to Linear Algebra, Fifth Edition by Gilbert Strang", which seems like a fantastic guide to the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0980232775/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But I'm uncertain about which one I should get for multivariable... I'm considering purchasing "Multivariable Calculus, Tenth Edition by Ron Larson and Bruce H. Edwards"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1285060296/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Are these wise choices? I want to ensure that I get my money's worth when purchasing these textbooks. When I self studied calculus, the sources I used had many issues... while they explained certain topics very well, they didn't use the metric system, which made conversions very difficult. Compounding this, they didn't teach everything that was on the finals. For instance it taught Taylor and Maclauren series, but never mentioned finding the area between two polar curves.

So I'm hoping that these books will be far more meticulous, and if not what do you recommend?

It is not a good book in opinion. The exercises are as dull as it can be and there are lots of it. I got very bored in the second chapter itself.

These were my personal opinion, the book might suit you as it is a very popular book.

1. What are the benefits of self-studying higher maths?

Self-studying higher maths allows you to have more control over your learning pace and schedule. It can also improve your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as well as your overall understanding of mathematics.

2. How do I know if I am ready to self-study higher maths?

You should have a strong foundation in basic math concepts and a desire to learn more advanced topics. It is also helpful to have good time management skills and the ability to stay motivated and disciplined.

3. What resources are available for self-studying higher maths?

There are many online resources such as textbooks, video lectures, practice problems, and forums where you can ask for help. You can also join study groups or hire a tutor for additional support.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying higher maths?

Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Break up your study sessions into smaller chunks and take breaks in between. Also, remind yourself of the benefits and importance of learning higher maths.

5. Are there any challenges to self-studying higher maths?

Self-studying higher maths can be challenging because you are solely responsible for your learning and may face difficulties without a teacher or classmate to guide you. It also requires a lot of self-discipline and motivation to stay on track.