1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing unit vectors for harmonic motion problems

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    Consider a vertical pendulum affected by gravity (See the pdf file i included). Now i can choose two different opposite directions for my unit vectors which give me different equations.
    [tex]\downarrow : m\ddot x = mg-kx [/tex]
    [tex]\uparrow : m\ddot x = kx-mg[/tex]
    Which of course makes perfect sense, changing direction changes the sign. The problem is now if i want to solve them the second case yields a weird result.

so in the first case the (real) solution would be (if we set ##\omega _n^2 = \frac{k}{m}##)
    [tex]x = Acos(\omega _n t )+ Bsin(\omega _n t) + \frac{mg}{k}[/tex]
    and for the second case
    [tex]x = Ae^{\omega _n t} + Be^{-\omega _n t} +\frac{mg}{k}[/tex]

So what I'm wondering why i would get a different solution just by changing the direction of the unit vector and how i can reconcile the approaches or know how i should choose the direction of my unit vectors.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whatever your direction for x, the force of the spring is always in the opposite direction to the displacement. So, in the second case, you should have:

[tex]\uparrow : m\ddot x = -kx-mg[/tex]

4. Jan 15, 2015 #3
    Thank you, I understand now! You won't believe I've been thinking about this for several hours before i wrote this :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook