1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Christoffel symbols in flat spacetime

Tags:
  1. Aug 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle moving through Minkowski space with worldline [itex]x^\mu(\lambda)[/itex]. Here [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a continuous parameter which labels different points on the worldline and [itex]x^\mu = (t,x,y,z)[/itex] denotes the usual Cartesian coordinates. We will denote [itex]\partial/\partial \lambda[/itex] by a dot. In this problem we will assume that the trajectory of the particle obeys the equation of motion [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex].

(a) Show that this trajectory describes a particle moving at constant velocity.
    (b) Show that this trajectory is a local minimum of the action
    [tex]
    S = \int ds = \int d\lambda\,\sqrt{\eta_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu}
    [/tex]
    (c) Consider a new coordinate system [itex]x^{\mu'}[/itex] which differs from the original Cartesian coordinate system; as before, the Cartesian coordinates [itex]x^\mu[/itex] can be written as a function of these new coordinates [itex]x^\mu = x^\mu(x^{\mu'})[/itex]. Show that the equation of motion can be written in these new [itex]x^{\mu'}[/itex] coordinates as
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} + \Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} = 0
    [/tex]
    for some [itex]\Gamma^{\mu'}_{\nu'\lambda'}[/itex] which you must compute; [itex]\Gamma^{\mu'}_{\nu'\lambda'}[/itex] is known as the Christoffel symbol. These extra Christoffel terms in the equation of motion can be thought of as "fictitious" forces that arise in an accelerated reference frame.

(* I only need help with part c *)

2. Relevant equations
    Jacobian matrix:
    [tex]
    J_{\beta}^{\alpha'} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha'}}{\partial x^{\beta}}
    [/tex]

Derivaitves:
    [itex]\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'} \dot{x}^\mu[/itex]
    [itex]\dot{x}^{\mu} = J_{\mu'}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu'}[/itex]

Notation:
    [itex]\partial_\mu = \partial/\partial x^\mu[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels on this problem, and don't know where to go with it. This is from PHYS 514: General Relativity at McGill. Since I'm not actually taking this class I have no graders nor TA's ask when I get stuck as I learn how to do summation convention calculations. We haven't introduced Christoffel symbols yet in the class videos for the week of this assignment, so I assume we should only find them by deriving the equation of motion in the primed coordinate system. This is what I have come up with so far, but I have no idea if I made an error because this is my first time doing these kind of calculations (in this notation I mean).

Recall we earlier showed that
    [tex]
    \dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu\:,
    \qquad
    \dot{x}^\nu = J_{\nu'}^{\nu} \dot{x}^{\nu'}.
    [/tex]

Differentiating the left equation of with respect to [itex]\lambda[/itex] then gives
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu\big)
    = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\,\dot{x}^\mu + J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\ddot{x}^\mu.
    [/tex]
    But since [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex], this simplifies to
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\,\dot{x}^\mu.
    [/tex]
    We can compute the derivative of the Jacobian by swapping the order of derivatives as
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)
    =
    \frac{d}{d\lambda}\Big(\partial_\mu x^{\mu'}\Big)
    = \partial_{\mu}\dot{x}^{\mu'}.
    [/tex]
    Thus we have
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \big(\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
    [/tex]
    Since we can write [itex]\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\nu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\nu[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}^\mu = J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}[/itex], we can write the equation above as
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}\dot{x}^\nu\big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
    [/tex]
    Writing [itex]\dot{x}^\nu = J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}[/itex], this equation becomes
    [tex]
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}\big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
    [/tex]
    Applying the product rule for differentiation, we thus find
    \begin{align*}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'}
    & = \Big(
    \partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\big)\dot{x}^{\lambda'} +
    J_{\nu}^{\mu'}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\lambda'}
    \Big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'} \\
    & =
    J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\partial_\mu\big(
    J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}
    \big)\dot{x}^{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\nu'} +
    J_{\nu'}^{\mu}J_{\nu}^{\mu'}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}
    \big(\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\lambda'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
    \end{align*}

AND HERE IS WHERE I'M STUCK

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a somewhat daunting subject to go it alone.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2014 #2
    The rest of the problem is simple enough, but I'm stuck on part (c).

4. Aug 25, 2014 #3
    Forgot to mention [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the metric of flat spacetime in cartesian coordinates, with signature - + + +.

5. Aug 26, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: The chain rule
    $$
    \frac d{d\lambda} = \frac{d x^\mu}{d\lambda} \partial_\mu
    $$

6. Aug 26, 2014 #5
    ARGGGGHHHHH!!! Flubbing the chain rule! Thank you so much for seeing through my BS argument! OK, so the answer should be:

Recall we earlier showed that
    \begin{equation}
    \dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu.
    \end{equation}
    Differentiating again, we get
    \begin{align*}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'}
    & = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu + J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\ddot{x}^\mu.
    \end{align*}
    Since [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex], this equation becomes
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
    \end{equation}
    From the chain rule we know that
    \begin{equation}
    \frac{d}{d\lambda}
    = \frac{d x^\nu}{d\lambda}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu} = \dot{x}^\nu \partial_\nu,
    \end{equation}
    so our equation of motion simplifies to
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \dot{x}^\nu\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
    \end{equation}
    But we also know that
    \begin{equation}
    \dot{x}^\nu = J_{\nu'}^{\nu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}, \qquad \dot{x}^mu = J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\lambda'},
    \end{equation}
    so our equation of motion becomes
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} =
    J_{\nu'}^{\nu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} =
    J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}.
    \end{equation}
    Moving everything to the left hand side, our equation of motion is then
    \begin{equation}
    \ddot{x}^{\mu'} -
    J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} = 0.
    \end{equation}
    Thus by inspection we find the Christoffel symbols are given by
    \begin{equation}
    \Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'} = -J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}.
    \end{equation}

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted