Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circle in the Complex Domain where Mean is not the Centre

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    Hello people of Physics Forums,

In my research into transmission lines, I have come across the following function:

x = ( a - i * b * tan(t) ) / ( c - i * d * tan(t) )

In the above equation x, a, b, c and d are complex and t is real. If my analysis is correct, varying t from -pi/2 to pi/2 will yield a circle in the complex domain that intersects the points a/c and b/d.

I would like to know more about this type of function. Has it been studied before? If so, does it have some sort of special name that I can look up in a mathematics textbook to learn more about it? In particular, I am interested in finding the "average" value of x; does a closed form solution (in terms of a, b, c and d) exist if one integrates x from t = -pi/2 to pi/2?

Thank you in advance.

electronicengi

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

4. Jun 16, 2014 #3
    Excellent. Looks like I will be doing a little bit of reading up on the Mobius transformation.

Does anyone know how to find (if possible) a closed form solution for the mean value of x?

5. Jun 17, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No, but I think the following should be true:
    Let ##a = T(0)##, let ##b = T(i\pi/2) + T(-i\pi/2)##. Then the mean value lies on the line through ##a## and ##b##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook